World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya, im off to spend 2 months in the north sea on a survey ship and am wondering if fishing in such deep water is worthwhile? i will be trolling a lure that dives to about 30' but are there any other fishing styles that might prove successful in the middle north sea?!

cheers

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
How deep is the water? If you're trolling because you're doing sidescanning, then tow a lure that runs near the surface if it's deeper than 60ft. The only fish that will take a trolled lure in the north sea are bass, mackerel, garfish and a completely random pelagic fish like a tuna which are incredibly rare.
You won't find bass in water deeper than 35m, and you will only find them within trolling depth range if they're balling up bait near the surface, or the water is much shallower.

G

·
How deep is the water? If you're trolling because you're doing sidescanning, then tow a lure that runs near the surface if it's deeper than 60ft. The only fish that will take a trolled lure in the north sea are bass, mackerel, garfish and a completely random pelagic fish like a tuna which are incredibly rare.
You won't find bass in water deeper than 35m, and you will only find them within trolling depth range if they're balling up bait near the surface, or the water is much shallower.
We often get bass close to the bottom when fishing wrecks in twice that depth:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will be towing sidescans and also a seismic setup...guns and a >1km streamer with the hydrophones. interestingly enough there has been reports that the sonic booms damage fish stocks but have been observed to attract whales, and also numerous shark attacks on the streamer in australia. not sure on the depths as yet but the multibeam will surely tell me exactly! i have a couple of lures, a rapala sliver, x-rap magnum and might pick up another couple today.

will be leaving a lure out the back of the boat mainly to kill some time and hopefully catch some fish. good to know there might be some fish about! cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts