World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Just received a mail order of un-shelled peeler and the whole lot is defrosted! :wallbash:

Whats the best thing to do to salvage them?

If I de-shell and remove the lungs can I re-freeze them?

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Hello

Just received a mail order of un-shelled peeler and the whole lot is defrosted! :wallbash:

Whats the best thing to do to salvage them?

If I de-shell and remove the lungs can I re-freeze them?

Cheers

Bob
I think id put a claim in against the sender if i paid for frozen and received defrosted.
As the crab were already frozen un peeled there is no point in removing the lungs to freeze them now they are defrosted. Id get them straight in the freezer as soon as possible.
As long as the crabs werent defrosted for more than a couple hours,they may work for Wrasse and Smoothounds as these fish arent as fussy as Cod or Bass etc.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
I think id put a claim in against the sender if i paid for frozen and received defrosted.
As the crab were already frozen un peeled there is no point in removing the lungs to freeze them now they are defrosted. Id get them straight in the freezer as soon as possible.
As long as the crabs werent defrosted for more than a couple hours,they may work for Wrasse and Smoothounds as these fish arent as fussy as Cod or Bass etc.
Cod are fussy? News to me :unsure: lol

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
WHY!!!!!!
Whats good for you may not be of concern for others and other uses.

The gills quickly rot, even in the freezer. This in turn spreads to the rest of the crab making it virtually useless.

Not sure what you are getting at in your post mate. I was just trying to help. I am pretty sure I am in the "Bait Discussion" forum.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Out of interest, as someone who doesn't use crab baits very often, mainly worm and fish, why do crabs need to be peeled. Fish don't peel them before eating them, surely. Is it just to get a better scent into the water, or is it for better and easier hooking? When I have used crab, It was peeled and cut and secured with bait elastic, not because of my experience with crab baits, but because, that's "how it's done"

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Is easier to bait up, but the big peeling hardbacks - never gutted a fish and found one in the gut, no evidence that the likes of bass and flatties actually eat them before they go soft.

But yea, try wrapping an unshelled peeler to your hook with bait elastic.

I'm afraid I dont buy into the degilling. Prime peeler frozen doesnt come out tainted - the gills are frozen solid, but if it works for people then no problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The gills quickly rot, even in the freezer. This in turn spreads to the rest of the crab making it virtually useless.

Not sure what you are getting at in your post mate. I was just trying to help. I am pretty sure I am in the "Bait Discussion" forum.
What I am getting at is the way you put your comment.
It basically said if you have crabs that have gills in you might as well throw them away. It was the way you phrased it, not personal.
Yes after a time they may well start to rot after some time.
However the term "quickly" is defined as "what in time scales".
For many types of fishing it makes no bloody difference at all, that the gills are left in.
Yes there are many things in life we should do, however this is one that most people dont need to get to worried over.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
What I am getting at is the way you put your comment.
It basically said if you have crabs that have gills in you might as well throw them away. It was the way you phrased it, not personal.
Yes after a time they may well start to rot after some time.
However the term "quickly" is defined as "what in time scales".
For many types of fishing it makes no bloody difference at all, that the gills are left in.
Yes there are many things in life we should do, however this is one that most people dont need to get to worried over.
Well then you do it your way,I'll do it the same way double shot damo suggests and everyone else can make up their own minds no worries.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Out of interest, as someone who doesn't use crab baits very often, mainly worm and fish, why do crabs need to be peeled. Fish don't peel them before eating them, surely. Is it just to get a better scent into the water, or is it for better and easier hooking? When I have used crab, It was peeled and cut and secured with bait elastic, not because of my experience with crab baits, but because, that's "how it's done"
Its difficult cutting an unpeeled crab nearly in half so's you can twist it and thread both halves up the shank. also, when growing the new shell underneath the one about to be shed, the body is full of juices which attract fish from far away, so peeling, then cutting through them prior to hooking releases the juices, giving you a lovely scent trail.
Hope this answers your question :thumbs:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Its difficult cutting an unpeeled crab nearly in half so's you can twist it and thread both halves up the shank. also, when growing the new shell underneath the one about to be shed, the body is full of juices which attract fish from far away, so peeling, then cutting through them prior to hooking releases the juices, giving you a lovely scent trail.
Hope this answers your question :thumbs:
Yes this is the main reason why anglers like them peeled and gilled when frozen is for fishing for smaller fish with smaller hooks.
As you tends to cut up peeled crab live or frozen into two halfs, then hooks them through 2/3 times and wrap with elastic needed.
When fishing for hounds, cod, bass etc ie big fish you just put them on whole.
A prime example of this is when you use crinkles for hounds, normally speaking you would not cut these up into 2 halfs then use them for small fish. Jellies yes you can as they are no different to peeled crab.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Should be peeled and de-gilled before frozen.
They certainly should be, imo if you buy frozen crab unpeeled its because the dealer is too lazy to prepare the crab properly before freezing and was most likely dying or dead when frozen.

·
Registered
181 Posts
They certainly should be, imo if you buy frozen crab unpeeled its because the dealer is too lazy to prepare the crab properly before freezing and was most likely dying or dead when frozen.
Sorry but that maybe true down your end of the country, but that is a sweeping statement.
You lot on here have so many preconceived ideas, its stupid.
Have you ever thought that some wholesalers just get so many crab in at times, they freeze the poppers which are the perfect crab, before they go off as they dont have enough time to peel every crab.
Can you imagine dealing in hundereds of crabs every day, then trying to peel every single crab, plus all other aspects of your day to day business.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i never bother with the lungs whe i freeze crabs down but mine are usually used within the month,ive had nights when my frozen crab has outfished mates fresh(both bass and smoothys)and untill that changes im not going to de lung them.but like they say every one to there own.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Sorry but that maybe true down your end of the country, but that is a sweeping statement.
You lot on here have so many preconceived ideas, its stupid.
Have you ever thought that some wholesalers just get so many crab in at times, they freeze the poppers which are the perfect crab, before they go off as they dont have enough time to peel every crab.
Can you imagine dealing in hundereds of crabs every day, then trying to peel every single crab, plus all other aspects of your day to day business.
Fair one its a rather sweeping statement but if thats the business your in then surely you should be prepared for it. If you freeze down the poppers and they get used within a few weeks then thats fine but if a dealer is freezing down crab and not rotating his stock than that same crab may not be sold for 6 months or so. These crabs will be next to useless imo and thats why people get annoyed with some of the rubbish they get sent. Your a narky one you are maybe your in the wrong business.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Rayjp, this is in no way a personal attack on you, but you seem very defensive when it comes to people commenting on the condition of some bait. Nobody has said that you sell bad crab baits(are you bandtc?), but your jumping in and telling people off for saying what they think. People are always going to want the best and freshest bait they can get for their hard earned cash. Why is that a problem?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fair one its a rather sweeping statement but if thats the business your in then surely you should be prepared for it. If you freeze down the poppers and they get used within a few weeks then thats fine but if a dealer is freezing down crab and not rotating his stock than that same crab may not be sold for 6 months or so. These crabs will be next to useless imo and thats why people get annoyed with some of the rubbish they get sent. Your a narky one you are maybe your in the wrong business.
Maybe I am in the wrong business and narky, but being in it for over 30 years I get very p***ed of at the crap that some people talk about on here in reagrds to bait, live or frozen.
The underlined comment you have made I do entirely agree with.
I wish I had some frozen crab for more than 6 weeks, I can never freeze enough down and to be fair most go to private clients and not shops.
Also I do agree that some shops do just freeze down the left over rubbish.
However please dont tar all of us with the same brush.

:hug:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts