World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's,

Me and my mate are planning on going to Felixstowe on Saturday, BUT, we have never fished this venue before!!!

Can anyone help with the following?:

Local tackle shop for bait?

Rigs/Tackle?

Where to fish when we get there?

Flood or Ebb?

What type of bait?

What species we can expect?

What it's fishing like at the moment?

Distance to sling a lead?

Thanks in advance chaps!
Rich

· Registered
6,856 Posts
Hi Guy's,

Me and my mate are planning on going to Felixstowe on Saturday, BUT, we have never fished this venue before!!!

Can anyone help with the following?:

Local tackle shop for bait?

Rigs/Tackle?

Where to fish when we get there?

Flood or Ebb?

What type of bait?

What species we can expect?

What it's fishing like at the moment?

Distance to sling a lead?

Thanks in advance chaps!
Rich
Felixstowe was fishing bad last sunday, we had the return leg of the Kent Essex match there (see results on SE forum), it was won with a 26 cm rockling. we all caught shed loads of pin whiting.
Normally Felixtowe fishes well on moost states of the tide. if you fish the viewpoint bring a truck load of tackle with you, but the fishing is better. The sea side is a lot cleaner and fishes nearly as well as the river side. There is no need for distance casting between 50 and 100yds covers everything. Rigs etc. are a bit difficult this time of year and it will pay to experiment with them and the baits as well. If there is a good wind blowing then it will fish better, but if it was like last Sunday, still. hot and calm, there is a good pub round the corner called the Dolphin -- sorry:uhuh:

· Registered
1,480 Posts
hi roaorscarymonster, as issy said its a tad flat and warm at mo , the dredger was out again yesterday ( me think they lookin for treasure lol) if you decide to have a go then aim for the languard sea side if you need directions google map languard fort ,this will help ,failing that pm me and i will try help direct you best i can also best to fish atleast two hours prior flood and two after, in regards to location you could if your up for a treck walk upto the harbour entrance/old gravel pier giving best of both worlds fishing into river or out to sea, best of luck i aint ben in months to busy workin to pay for the ball and chain to be fitted in july lol

· Registered
30 Posts
Two local tackle shops are

1 Castaway - tel no 01394 278316

2 Tackle Up - tel no 01394 274600

They will be able to give you advice where to go (they will probably say Dover) but it could be anywhere from basically the right of the pier up to the end of Landguard point and around into the river mouth. There haven't been many fish caught recently according to the local reports and Felixstowe does tend to be a bit Cod or bust you never get many flatties or bass down that way for some reason. Rigs are just your usual east coast beach rigs either 2/3 hook flappers or something clipped down and a bit bigger if you're hoping to get a bigger one. The beach seaward side does tend to be a lot cleaner and less snaggy but the river side near the viewing point seems to have been throwing up what few fish there have been so its six of one and half dozen of another. Give the local shops a ring and they will hopefully be able to fill you in more - they'll obviously say they are catching cos they want to sell you some bait but I'm not so sure. Everywhere is pretty rubbish at the minute so I don't think it matters where you head to but you never know. As they say 'you've got to be in it to win [email protected] so good luck wherever you decide on. Keep your eyes on www.leader-lines.com for more accurate and local up to date reports. Also stick a question on there you will get lots of advice from top fellas who know the areas inside out. Good luck !

· Registered
4,518 Posts
I have been fishing into the sea (from langaurd) and you cant go too far wrong with a 3 hook flapper with size 4 hooks and loads of little beads with worm and fish baits chucked at any distance will catch you pin whiting, lose the beads and you should see some small codling come on lug/squid baits chuck this out 50 - 100 yards.
there could be some sizeable codling about so it migght be worth chucking out a pully rig loaded with lug.
Banglemouse knows this beach better than me though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.