World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted this is the South Wales thread by accident.

Posted to Stonehouse recently and after a few chats at a couple of local tackle shops and getting some decent bait from a shop called Robs, I was told to give devils point a shot tonight. Was advised it would take a lot of ground work to get anything and I'd probably blank but thought its was worth a shot.

Got down in the peeing rain and stormy westerly to find a lad just leaving, being a conger hotspot I asked if I was clutching at straws because of the conditions but he said the tide was right, give it a wurl.

Although I was aiming for a cod I beefed up my hook snood to 80lb (I'll go much higher in future) just in case an eel showed. First hour on black lug and bluey was dead. I chucked on 3 blacks and about a 1/3 of a bluey next to get rid of the bait as I was thinking of canning it.

About 45mins before high water (21.05) as I was baiting up my spare rig my ratchet started clicked then I had a run. I've never really conger fished before so didn't know what to do, after a few seconds cursing I lifted into what I thought was a snag, a few pulls later and I was reeling in something bigger than I've ever had.

Got it to the surface couldn't believe my eyes, my first 'real' conger. It weighed 20lb 8oz. Quickly put it back into davie jones locker. Couldn't get my gear back in the water quickly enough but soon the tide started to run out and it became unfishable.

Sorry no pics, didn't have a phone on me, just god as my witness. Sorry for the long post but still shaky and buzzing from it, my first double of anything from the shore.

Can I just ask when the best time in the tide to fish the point? As I only really had 90 mins until it became unworkable.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well done mate only had 1 conger off the shore myself about 12 15lb and I was buzzing don't no much about best tide times to fish there but if you get no joy on hear then speak to rob he'll know ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Best to fish neap tides mate and can fish min of 2 hours down to low and then if the tide isn't too big most/all of the flood. Prime time is usually couple hours either side of low. On really big tides you'll only get 1 hour each side of low but sometimes the eels feed hard in those short periods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts