World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last few days at Plymouth, total disaster for me, 24hrs in and I’m at A&E with torn ligaments in my foot, so rock hopping is out the question.
Gonna have a go at Devils Point tomorrow as I can hobble to the mark, can anyone give me any pointers, what might be about, baits Etc?
I guess wrasse around my feet, pollack too, Rays Congers on bigger bottom baits.?

·
Registered
738 Posts
On my last few days at Plymouth, total disaster for me, 24hrs in and I’m at A&E with torn ligaments in my foot, so rock hopping is out the question.
Gonna have a go at Devils Point tomorrow as I can hobble to the mark, can anyone give me any pointers, what might be about, baits Etc?
I guess wrasse around my feet, pollack too, Rays Congers on bigger bottom baits.?
I'm local but only ever lure fished there a couple of times during daylight. I don't go there any more, parking is a nightmare since they opened a staircase from Devils point down into the Royal William yard, and lots of the staff, contractors & visitors use the free parking at Devils point rather than get ripped off in the yard. Also, after dark, all of the local boy racers have been gathering up there & causing trouble. Don't think the weather is great for tomorrow - what time were you thinking of heading down there?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Trampster

Was thinking late afternoon into the evening, most of the flood maybe a couple of hours of the Ebb, but not liking the sound of the report. Anywhere else you can suggest, I’m still pretty unsteady on my feet so needs to be pretty easy access

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi Trampster

Was thinking late afternoon into the evening, most of the flood maybe a couple of hours of the Ebb, but not liking the sound of the report. Anywhere else you can suggest, I’m still pretty unsteady on my feet so needs to be pretty easy access
Not in the best of health so easy access compulsory here too! There are the usual marks like Mount Batten pier, Elphinstone Car Park, or West Hoe jetty, and there are a few marks around the Hoe, but all of those involve clambering up & down steps so prob not so good. Mount Wise at the bottom of James street is also a nice mark with easy access that I have fished - it's not all that productive as its a bit further up the Tamar than Devils point, but I believe Conger are quite frequently caught there, & I've had a Macker or two.

The only other mark I was thinking of trying is along past Artillery tower. When you drive past Nazereth house bottom end of Durnford street, as soon as you see the water by Devils point cafe, take a really sharp right & see if there are any parking spaces. Walk along past the cafe & the Artillery tower restaurant, it is a nice level path which eventually ends below the Royal Marines Stonehouse barracks, near where Brittany ferries dock. Halfway along there, there is a small beach, and if you walk to the end, there is another mark with some level platforms, but again, it is down a few steps. Check it out on Google. Sorry I can't be more help - I've been asking for info about productive marks around Plymouth, even just for a few Mackerel, but have not found any "Diamonds"!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trampster

Many thanks for all your help, I know people are very secretive about marks, I will be decide in a while and keep you updated

·
Registered
122 Posts
Trampster

Many thanks for all your help, I know people are very secretive about marks, I will be decide in a while and keep you updated
Am happy to help people out with marks who are not in the best of health and therefore require easy access.
So, park at Mountbatten, at the beginning of the pier turn left and walk past the cafe which will be on your left.Walk about 50 or so yards and it will take you onto some flat rocks. If you then look due west you will see a biggish rock which uncovers at LW about 60 yards from the shore and parallel to the pier.This is a good mark for Bass,cast around the rock when you can just see it especially at dusk.Mackerel there also.

·
Registered
13,479 Posts
devils is small and too popular, there is rocks to the right, theyre not too dodgy unless your foots knackeres then its a non starter,
boating traffic will put the fish deep for lures.
the fishings very similar to mutton cove, except parkings easier at mutton and there is a lot more space all round.
if its lures id fish turn of the tide into the ebb, bait early flood on smaller tides.
its all very tidal deep and snaggy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts