World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of going lure fishing on one of my local storm beaches for bass with my bass rod (2-4oz) with a 60g Dexter, what line would you recommend as well as any possible alternative lures to use off the beach that would be capable of casting to 80yards ?

Cheers

·
Registered
463 Posts
You're a bit over gunned with that set up for lure fishing. Most lure rod would start at a casting weight minimum 8g to max 50g. 8 to 35 being a classic weighted rod. That would cater for a whole host of great lures. There are some 10-50 ones out there the last time I looked 9ft+. That would work on a surf beach. A 28g Dexter on the appropriate rod would reach 80m and work a lot better than a 60g one. You could work it slower and be in more control. I personally prefer lower than that still.
I'm guessing you have a rod and not looking to change it. It's more a bait rod than a lure rod. One of the heaviest lures is a patchinko 11 and that's still only 25g.
You're stuck with metals on that rod. You maybe able to find a heavy Toby lure. You can try it but it's the wrong rod for lure fishing.
You need braid line which is not cheap. 10lb per ounce of weight cast. You could get away with 25 to 30lb line as long as you keep your metal size to the lower end of the rod rating.
Give it a try if you like but don't go spending too much and get too disheartened. What you really need is a different rod.

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
Whilst a different rod might be ideal, I would personally say you don't NEED one.
You will have strong forearms after a session mind, LOL

(My reason for saying that - plug casters use rods like that, or even higher, to cast those 18g plugs).

That said, I would personally be casting a circa 30g metal, or a casting egg with eel or fly, or a weedless worm rigged Carolina style.

(The latter method is one I would like to try myself - clipped down, up-and-over, Carolina style (think running ledger) with a 3oz sinker, really wellied out. Even a very small, floating, lipped hard lure?)

Just give it a whirl and get back to us.
Worth a try.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Even a very small, floating, lipped hard lure?
Hi Lips. That's a method I sometimes use when trolling deep water for pike.. heavy lead straight down with a floating crankbait on a paternoster.

To the OP.. 60g of metal will just drag along the bottom unless you're fishing deep water or winding in very (too) fast.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
You'll probably find your rod can cast weights much lower than its stated 2oz, especially if your loaded with braid. Might be worth considering an offshore fbm with a heavy head if casting weight is an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts