World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DFR rods rings

What i want to know is has anybody who has used and fished a DFR any issues with the rings on them , im not having a go at the rods at all, I am wondering if the rings are a holding up to salt/sand and general wear , this is mainly aimed at those who had and worked there DFR hard like 4-5 times a week.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
given mine stick for about 2 years, fish every day almost all summer before and after work, i dont take care of my gear either its a rod not a baby or a piece of antique china, and I just dont get all this the rings dont work thing the pacbays, there fine, if they were fujis or ceramic lined guides im sure id have replaced more than a few by now. promise thats gospel. no rust either.

if i ever hook a barracuda a giant trevelly or a bluefin tuna prehaps id regret not having the heat disserpation qualities of SiC as it screams off 100 yards of line.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The minima 4's he uses are also used by chris dance on the building of zziplex shore rods. People that fish them everyday with no issues. Lure rods don't get abused to the same level as what shore rods do and they still survive and continue to impress. The only issue some people have is the sound of the friction by whatever line/braid you use. I went fishing with mine the other day, heard what people were on about and to be honest i'm not fussed. I think its to do with the braid i'm using as its a bit ropey. Mono or a slicker braid it would be silent. :marinheir

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks that's the answer i was after , ive had the same with vibration/friction noise but that was on a AFAW shore rod, reason is im building a light blank (5g-30g )and would like to use minima4 but unsure weather they were upto the job.

thanks again

shArk

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The minima 4's he uses are also used by chris dance on the building of zziplex shore rods. People that fish them everyday with no issues. Lure rods don't get abused to the same level as what shore rods do and they still survive and continue to impress. The only issue some people have is the sound of the friction by whatever line/braid you use. I went fishing with mine the other day, heard what people were on about and to be honest i'm not fussed. I think its to do with the braid i'm using as its a bit ropey. Mono or a slicker braid it would be silent. :marinheir
Got to pick you up on this, "lure rods don't get abused to the same level as what shore rods do", in my opinion lure rods get abused more than shore rods by a massive amount, I recon I cast my lure rod more times in one day than a bait fisherman will cast his rod over the life of his rod.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Got to pick you up on this, "lure rods don't get abused to the same level as what shore rods do", in my opinion lure rods get abused more than shore rods by a massive amount, I recon I cast my lure rod more times in one day than a bait fisherman will cast his rod over the life of his rod.
Do you dump your lure rod on rock sand and chesil stones? Do you knock them about in you car/van, rocks, other gear? Do you tie them with bungies to other gear. Smack eyes on things ? get rag worm, squid, peeler, lug worm mackerel juices on them ? put them in you car/van roughly after a 14 hour blank in the tipping rain while ****ed off as bait fishing is pants. maybe hitting them and not giving a crap? Do you put the eyes under 70 Lb's of force through casting a 7 oz lead 200 yards? Use 70Lb+ leader and crack off after the line getting caught round an eye pulling it to the point of a crack off ?

I've bait fished all my life, and all my friends do as well. I know the crap those rods go through. If you did the same to a lure rod. (lets say a DFR 9'6" t russle -awesome rod) it would snap and shatter many times over. They dont take the same crap as shore rods do. Its impossible because you can still fish with them lol...

If you do... i salute you sir :marinheir

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.