World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i fish with 2 conolflex vampires and diawa 7ht millionaire reels,

the problem i seem to have is that the reels dont have the retrieve ratio, to keep the lead of the ground, when fishing rough marks,
can the reels be converted to get a better retrieve ratio on them, or is it the same for everyone fishing rough marks ?
the mark i fished was cardiff foreshore..!!!

thx
simplybob

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
I'm not sure about that bob, it would involve upgrading the main gear and pinion gear.
I know it can be easily done on the 6500s, but the 7HT i'm not so sure about.
But then again......I wouldnt use a 7HT on anything other then very light rough ground anyway. I'd advise you to swap at least one of them for a sl20sh/shv :thumbs:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks like a new investment required,
to go on my list

many thx
bob

or dont fish shallow rough marks,

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Hi bob
As Martin said the 7ht is a clean ground reel go for a slosh 20
sorry i cant be of more help dai

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Hi bob
As Martin said the 7ht is a clean ground reel go for a slosh 20
sorry i cant be of more help dai
You could also look at the Shimano Torium 14 and the Diawa Saltist 20. Both excellent reels, cast well and very fast 6.2:1 retrieve.

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
7ht's ain't for the rough stuff bcoz the gears inside ain't upto that kind of continious pressure load. If it's the only reel you have and short of money for a new one, a quick solution is to use lead lifts. These will plane your lead up to the surface very promptly. Also, if you use the reel in the low mounted position, the extra length of the rod used will also help get the gear to the surface faster combined with a quick wind/retrieve.
Other than that, the only way is to invest in a reel thats built for those terrains and have a higher gear speed ratio.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Good point browny
you could always flatten your leads with a lump hammer to get them to plane up or use flat leads
nice reels treeman
but a bit expensive for me to use in the rough
i use sloshes they will do it all and are tough as old boots reasonable in price and they dont cast bad either if set up right
another idea that will make some cringe is to use a d'vice they plane up well ok they cost a bit but i have not lost many on rough ground i would not dream of using one with a rotten bottom mind but if you are fishing past the snags they work well
one last idea i hate saying this but wind faster
hope at least some of this helps dai

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

have you seen how fast i retrieve with 7hts

looks obscene from far away ;)

thx
bob

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
have you seen how fast i retrieve with 7hts

looks obscene from far away ;)

thx
bob
It was only an idea
seriously when i got my first slosh i was amazed after using my old 6500c from the late 70's it was a world appart
i have only used a 7ht once and i found it hard work!
good luck in your search for a new reel everyone has their own idea on the best rough ground reel try a few and see which suits you best some find the slosh a bit high on the rod and also the gearbox can get in the way i dont find a problem with either of these so the slosh gets my vote dai

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Good point browny
you could always flatten your leads with a lump hammer to get them to plane up or use flat leads
nice reels treeman
but a bit expensive for me to use in the rough
i use sloshes they will do it all and are tough as old boots reasonable in price and they dont cast bad either if set up right
another idea that will make some cringe is to use a d'vice they plane up well ok they cost a bit but i have not lost many on rough ground i would not dream of using one with a rotten bottom mind but if you are fishing past the snags they work well

I was gonna suggest about the flattening of the leads too, but it doesn't really work for grip leads (the leads grove for holding gripwires gets mangled too) LOL!!!

Sounds like the answer lies in buying a new reel as mentioned!!!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If you are comparing retrieve rates don't JUST compare the gear ratios.

I have two 6:1 reels : a Penn 535 and a Boss 665HM (lever drag) the 665 retrieves about 20% more line per handle turn than the Mag 535

because the spool is larger diameter.

So the Torium and Saltist could be worth a look if you have the money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts