World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know that whiting are canibals? an adult whiting of 2-3lbs+ will have eaten 2,200 of its own kind, so if your out of fresh bait and are chasing whiting try a small strip the same as you would macky or squid it works a treat.

&

·
0 Posts
Hi Gus,

A very interesting thread, Whiting are reputed to be one most voracious shoaling feeders in the fish world. Just a bit more info that I picked up (from my fish-keeping hobby) that you might find useful if you were a male Whiting.

Natural selection and the need to pass on the best genetics means that parents will eat their deformed eggs, embryos and fry, but this is further enhanced by the Whiting.

Studies off the southern coasts of Ireland showed that females out numbered the males by 2:1. The reason (it is thought) is that the women dominate the Whiting world and help to determine the best future for their species.

By having more females, you’ll have more breeding stock and therefore increase your shoal numbers and ultimately survival. However “Lady” Whiting take this one stage further!

Males will compete to breed, and will eat each other for a chance of some “action”, but the females will actively seek out the best looking, strongest males. If you’re an adolescent male, “out on the pull” and you don’t come up to scratch you don’t simply get the brush off; she’ll eat you.

Essential information for all teenage male Whiting!

Happy Days “Lofty”

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Caught a small whiting last night first cast & cut him into 7 small cutlets & a tail, had 4 1lb plus whiting on the cutlets, & a 2.5lb Pollack on the tail !
Had only small whiting & pouting on the rest of my £8 of worm, & salted the rest down for "the calm spell" when I get to take the "Blue Skip" out!
I am tempted to ledger live small whiting/pouting on one rod, as everything seems to eat them in the winter, they seem to be the "winter sandeels".
blueskip

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats right mate and a lot of people don't know that I have'nt salted down fish for years must try it again, how about your tips for doing it so the rest of the lads can try it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Gusangus .
I have a concern with this thread , This is ,will it start a mass cull of under weight whiting now that fishermen will see them as potential bait for the freezer, Imagine the whiting that you retrieve and say opps under weight ,but!!!! hang on these guys are cannibals ,put it on the chopping board and bingo free bait.
Couple of years down the line and the thread on here will be where's all the winter whiting gone let alone the Cod.
I'm not being a kiljoy or critical of any new tactics that may be forwaded but I just feel we must be sure of what we are all about.
Call me old fashion but there's a side of me that when I have a under weight fish on my rig I take great care not to harm removing it from the rig and a great deal of pleasure seeing it swim back to its environment.
cheers jury

&

·
0 Posts
A very interesting and valid point from Jury, same species baiting has caused much discussion between fisherman and scientists in the past, the underlying factor I think is that our sport deals with Nature.

I have baited with Whiting in the past, but only with fish I knew would be unable to survive a successful return, this was usually due to swallowed hooks and damaged gullets, swim bladders etc. (I now try and fish with circles or their equivalent, “streamer circles” are particularly good for worm baits).

When situations, as Gus said, “out of fresh bait”, occur then this is a viable method, but I would certainly not encourage continued culling of Whiting simply for continual bait use.

Salting down surplus Whiting is an excellent idea, a great way to utilise the whole fish.

A very interesting topic, from the “not so simple” Whiting

It’s another world down there, tight lines

G

·
0 Posts
here in west aussie whiting is used as bait for bigger whiting, saves wasting other more exspencive bait, i was in uk last year and caught silver whiting and see they have needle like teeth, witch i found out when one grabed my finger ha!!! ours have none,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts