World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys can anyone tell me is there such a thing as a diesel outboards?? and if there is where can i buy one

cheers

Al

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh just looked one up on ebay that was £8-9000 it just seems strange they dont do a good diesel outbaord, at them prices i think am better off looking for a boat with an inboard diesel i think.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not a 4 stroke.
mainly cus of the price of red diesel apollo but maby that might be my next thoughts, i have a 60hp yam 2 stroke abd it drinks so much fuel. how much of a diff is there between a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke outboard??

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
Even the thirstiest of old tech two strokes would make more financial sense than a diesel outboard. I believe Ruggerini also made a/some diesel outboards, again low power.

How much of a diff is there between a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke outboard??
Depends if you're talking of a carb model or a fuel injected model - I've known people change to carb 4 strokes and been disappointed how little difference there is - I've been out in a boat with a 40hp Mariner carb 4 stroke and a very similar boat with a 40hp carb 2 stroke and there was actually very little difference in the fuel used, but I guess this would vary from engine to engine - e.g. the two Tohatsu carbed 2 strokes I have owned have been quite light on juice.
But with fuel injection I think you may use as little as half the fuel - I know my ETEC 90 (fuel injected 2 stroke, reckoned to use about the same as a fuel injected 4 stroke in the top half of the rev range) uses less than half of what you'd use in the last of the carbed 2 stroke Merc 90s.

Still takes a lot of hours for the fuel saving to pay for the engine, but with modern injection systems (2 stroke or 4 stroke) you get other benefits like much easier starting, smoother running etc.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I've been getting around 50 mile to 30 litre of fuel on 50hp suzuki not going over 5000rpm on a 16ft boat and getting around 18knots.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been getting around 50 mile to 30 litre of fuel on 50hp suzuki not going over 5000rpm on a 16ft boat and getting around 18knots.
thats pretty good apollo what sort of speed are you going at 5000rpm m8?
i have a 17 foot microplus but i do like a bit of speed when i need it, not sure how fast my 60hp trim n tilt does but i can fill my 20ltr can up and i get about 15 maby 20 miles out of that hence my thinking time to get a diff engine

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not such a saving nowadays!:sad2: Unless you're using it for heating!!!
red derv can be got for around half the price around 50ppl so half the price of petrol and it goes farther;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Agreed it's cheaper for farmers, but illegal to use it in a boat, unless you pay the duty.

The last post on that Farmingforum was Aug 2008

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
In any of my Daihatsu's or my Discoveries for the last 20yrs all of which have been diesel engined, & I have used cooking oil, old chip fat, heating oil, red diesel from the forwarder etc, & although I have passed many Ministry check points on many main roads, they are only after the HGVs, The chances of them coming down the marina & checking boats is the same as a snowballs chance in hell!
Perkins used to make a 16HP diesel outboard in the 60's it took a team of horses to lift it, you were a lather of sweat pulling it to start, & when/if it went, you could walk faster than it would push a 12ft dinghy!:nonono:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts