World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi hopefully someone can help, I'm looking for a 13 foot rod to use for mulleting, I've been looking at match rods & float rods but the choice is confusing, & secondly does the number of guides make much difference? I see some that have 15 guides & others that have only 9! annoyingly the one I was thinking of getting only has 9 or 10 guides (13ft shimano catana BX float)

hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation, many thanks, Rob........

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
hi hopefully someone can help, I'm looking for a 13 foot rod to use for mulleting, I've been looking at match rods & float rods but the choice is confusing, & secondly does the number of guides make much difference? I see some that have 15 guides & others that have only 9! annoyingly the one I was thinking of getting only has 9 or 10 guides (13ft shimano catana BX float)

hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation, many thanks, Rob........
Tbh mate I use a Shimano beastmaster 12ft feeder rod with the 3oz tip in FOR pellet waggler(carp) and it is a brilliant tool for Mullet also. You will need some power to stop mr Mullet and i have landed Carp to 18lbs on this rod. Mullet fight hard and imho this rod will not let you down OK its sold as a feeder rod but it has many uses:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
a float rod will be ok for open water fishing but they don't have much power if you need to stop a fish.

the number of rings affects the way the line follows the contour of the rod.. the more rings, the smoother the curve. if you have less rings the angle of the line between each of the rings, when the rod is bent (fighting a fish), is too sharp. this affects the smoothness of the whole set-up when fighting a fish.

i'd take a look at Avon type rods with a 1lb-1¼lb tc. unless you are float fishing in open water i think they will give you a much more "allround" mullet rod for any situation. some of them come with twin tips as well so 2 for the price of one! they are usually progressive blanks though so if you need to set a hook fast and hard, maybe not the right choice.

·
Registered
125 Posts

For mulleting something like the John Wilson Avon Quiver rod, of the type suggested by Marc would probably be best as you get an ordinary tip section suitable for use when floatfishing and another section which takes push in quiver tips for legering.

Some float rods have fourteen or fifteen rings because they're designed for river trotting with light floats and lines. Lots of high stand off guides help to prevent the line coming in to contact with the blank and possibly sticking to it, particularly when it's wet, and make it easier for the speed of the river's flow to peel line off of the reel.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies, I went into my local tackle shop & had a good look & feel of the rods, after taking some dvice I settled on a abu esprit 13ft match, I think I made the right choice, its nice & tippy but its still got plenty of power lower down, its got 15 guides I think, Rob........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.