World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a brand new 525 Supermag xtra of fleabay but not sure its a supermag. This is my first multy so a bit confussed.

The box it came in just says Penn 525 with a printed (looks inkjet) label on saying 525 Supermag Xtra over a 525 sticker.

The actual reel label says 525 Mag. All the reels I can see on line say 525 Supermag Xtra on the reel.

It has the "knobbly" mag control but the drive engage lever on pictures show a plastic lever while the one I have is metal. All the tools are sealed. Don't want to open the reel up unless I have to as I don't want to mark the screw heads incase its a dud and goes back.

How can I tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
its ok mate the metal lever are the latest version and the last they are not making anymore it has been overhauled and the new ones should be available soon cheers mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - lever looks like yours - craking birdnest. Thats what put me off a multiplier for years.

Just concered that the plastic label on the reel says 525 - not supermag. Paid £100 plus P&P which would be dear for a standard 525.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Standard Supermag doesn't have the knobby end plate though so I would be too worried about it... and the birdie wasn't mine, I just too the photo but it was easily sorted within a couple minutes with the aid of a good sharp knife...

My Tourno Mag's came with a Mag T label on the box as well, akin to yours; Penn probably did 1 print run on the boxes and then stuck labels on as the reel were packaged, to save money...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By "knobbly" I mean a knob rather than a slide control. I thought it was only the early reels that had slid control and changed over to a knob?

If I open the end up what should I be looking for on a Supermag Xtra?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
maybe stick up a couple of pics,may help with id'ing

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
This the Penn 525 Range that has been produced, detailing the differences between the versions that have been/are available:

525 GS - Original reel. Centrifugal Brakes. Discontinued.

525GS Mag - same slidy mag control as the original 525 Mag, GS spool and bearings. Discontinued.

525 Mag - Original reel. 4 magnets. Slidey control. Discontinued.

525 Supermag - 6 magnets. ABEC5 Bearings. Slidey control. Discontinued.

525 Mag T - Single rare earth magnet. Rising control knob. Discontinued.

525 Mag Xtra - 4 magnets, with option to fit 2 additional magnets (supplied) and upgrade ABEC5 bearing kit (supplied). Slidey control. In production.

525 Supermag Xtra - 8 magnets, ceramic hybrid bearings. Non rising control knob. In production.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
iv just got a super mag extra it has the metal spool switch on like yours does. but mine says supermag xtra on the reel my box didnt even have a sticker saying it was a supermag though just says 525 mag

·
Registered
586 Posts
Ah dreaded evilbay, has some one just slapped a different endplate on a normal mag, and called it a super mag extra?? the boxes do normally just have a sticker slapped on to tell which model it is.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That's a Supermag Xtra.

Dont know why purefishing are not putting the correct badges on the reel.

I thought I had few "Supermag Xtra" badges lying around - will let you know if I find one.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
i dunno if this pics helps you in any way ,
heres my 525 supermag xtra

i thought the same when i seen the label on the reel, but im told it was the latest model when i purchased it months back for around 150 quid.

andy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks - that put my mind at rest. Why oh why put a lower model bagde on something. I am no tackle tart (first new reel in 15 years) but why do it and add confussion. Just need to find a rod to go with it! Thanks for the help. Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts