World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i may sound stupid when i say this, but i havnt really been told, whats the difference between braid and mono, and what do people use them from, like do people use one from boats and the other from shore or what not? cheers

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
braid has no stretch in it and is usually thinner lighter than mono
it gives direct contact feeling with fish but due to its construction can cause wind knots if casting long distances hence its preffered for in close or boat this doesnt rule out it being used on a distance set up but might create problems
you can usually use a 30lb braid were a 15lb mono would fit

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use braid for 90% of my fishing now. Like has been said it has almost nil stretch. You should feel the battle on braid of an av' size fish, never mind a good size. Unreal.
But because of the nil stretch its VERY unforgiving and you can easily bump off a fish or damage a rod if you put to much pressure on. Once you get used to it though its great to use.
It picks up the slightest knock on the rod tip.
I would NEVER now use anything but braid for spinning because of that reason.

One more thing is that you have to be careful with knots on braid as it can easily slip over itself if you dont tie it correct. Iv used it for ages and know my knots are spot on but always put a blob of super glue on the knot anyways, just in case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts