World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me whether lug or king rag can be dug from any of the beaches around the Dunbar area please? I’d like a crack at the Bass after dark on the Thorntonloch beach with some worms but as I live further inland – I need to know where I’d find them to dig before moving on to the fishing…

Cheers

Tony.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
theres a beach at whitesands south ov dunbar dug some nice lug from there once while visiting the place best on decent tide

·
Registered
116 Posts
No offence meant but am I the only one who gets suspicious when someones first post on a forum is asking for good digging locations?

:g:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes its my first post and yes I was asking for digging locations - but 90% ot the time I'm a flyfisher for trout, pref' remote hill lochs... But as my sister recently moved to the Dunbar area I looked into the Bass fishing that I've heard about down that way... one thing leads to another - and the only regular success I've had with the Bass is at night with lug... seeing as I've got a Zziplex that's gathering dust in the cellar - I thought I'd put out a feeler for some spots for the lug... It'd be once or twice in the next few months that I'll make it down that way for the fishing - but I like to plan everything as best I can.
Thanks for the tips so far; I have the better side of 75 miles drive before I'd get there - so coming down for a look on the odd low tides wouldn't really help me - I therefore can only rely on local knowledge...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps I'm a little spoilt after three years on the southern Irish coastline - where lug are in abundance the size of snakes on so many of the beaches...

If anyone is heading over that way for a holiday and wants advice on hotspots - for the Bass - just let me know...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi Tony - welcome to the forum !!

Don't take the comments personally - sadly it is getting more and more difficult to dig worm around East Lothian.

What used to be one fork dig for three worms, is now three digs for one worm - some of the beaches are totally cleaned out.

If I need to get rag I usually order it from the tackle shops as its a lot less hassle than spending hours digging for just 20 or so worm in return.

Good luck with the fishing :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi again,

As Spellbound has already said my comments weren't intended to be an accusation or anything. Like he said finding good quality bait is difficult enough and it wouldn't be the first time a first time poster has asked for digging spots and then disappeared from the forum!

Hopefully you'll enjoy the fishing round here when you get out. If you do get out then let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hi again,

As Spellbound has already said my comments weren't intended to be an accusation or anything. Like he said finding good quality bait is difficult enough and it wouldn't be the first time a first time poster has asked for digging spots and then disappeared from the forum!

Hopefully you'll enjoy the fishing round here when you get out. If you do get out then let us know how you get on.

Let me echo those comments by spellbound and 101 north .Often bass marks and digging locations are the targets of first time posters who vanish strangely:g: welcome to the forummate and look forward to some good catch reports:)

Keith

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
these comments must be regarding the beds that once held lots of whites, and rag. both which have been wiped out by people from south of the border....
now lug is the next best thing - but also becoming very hard to find nowadays.
im sure i could put you on a few places if your genuine enough, just give me a PM.

p.s. welcome to the forum mate.

PS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts