World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help on what fork to get for digging lugworm, been told ordinary garden fork is no use as it is not deep enough!!

Any help would be appreciated guys

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I use a Wilkinson Sword fork, you get them from B&Q comes with a 10 year guarantee. must admit I have broke the odd 1 over the years but when I take them back to B&Q they exchange them no bother, good forks for digging in either sand or stones.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Expensive, but the best fork for digging in sand for lug is the Bulldog wide tined potato fork. If digging for rag in stony ground than a narrow tined fork is better. I bought a very good fork from a tackle shop in Scarborough, it has long broad tines although the handle seems a bit fragile, and may need replaced with a metal one. It digs a good deep face. Wooleworth used to sell the Powerdigger, a great looking fork but the tines kept breaking, mines ended up about 50% welding. Do a google search for bulldog garden / potato forks.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
just bought3 border forks from tesco was £23 down to £3 .
the cheapos were reduced to 45p .
but they were all gone

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Expensive, but the best fork for digging in sand for lug is the Bulldog wide tined potato fork. If digging for rag in stony ground than a narrow tined fork is better. I bought a very good fork from a tackle shop in Scarborough, it has long broad tines although the handle seems a bit fragile, and may need replaced with a metal one. It digs a good deep face. Wooleworth used to sell the Powerdigger, a great looking fork but the tines kept breaking, mines ended up about 50% welding. Do a google search for bulldog garden / potato forks.
The flat tined potato fork would be my favourite, dont know who manufactured it as it is now oxidised with salt and has grip tape down the shaft and handle.
I also use a cut down spade which has been narrowed to the width of the handle and then tapers to about 3 inches at the front of the blade. this is great for clean sand but not so good for shingle or mixed sand

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the info guys, now need to source some good luggy ground to dig!!

PM me if you wish to give advice on where to dig

Cheers guys

·
Registered
228 Posts
any fork will dig bait, just like a good beach rod will cast a lead, however, it really depends in who's doing the casting or digging! in other words, the more you put in, the more you get out!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
any fork will dig bait, just like a good beach rod will cast a lead, however, it really depends in who's doing the casting or digging! in other words, the more you put in, the more you get out!
All depends upon which type of beach you are digging. On some types of sandy beaches a thin tined fork will just come out through the sand without disturbing it. Some are like clay, others collapse as soon as the second forkful is attempted, there is no generalization, horses for courses. In some areas a spade works best, others require a broad tined fork, it all depends upon which type of shoreline you intend to dig. Baitpumps are the in thing in some locations but useless in others.

·
Registered
228 Posts
if buying from b an q dont buy the potato fork with the big orange handle prone to snapping the heads off ,wilkinson swords a good one but it will snap eventually just get a metal handle welded to it wen it does,stuart

1 - 12 of 12 Posts