World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any hints /tips other than getting someone else to do it, i am not getting any younger:giveup:

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
now lasher my old mate, the secret is to have something at your disposal that some young buck that can dig a bit needs. then convince him that a swop for a bit of creeper is an offer he can,t refuse. failing that you can order it to be delivered by courier, provided the price does,nt scare you off.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
does anyone have any hints /tips other than getting someone else to do it, i am not getting any younger:giveup:
this method will get you enough for a session without digging huge trenches.

look for small groups of smallish rocks that have some weed on top. idealy, probably on the edge of the mud. the lads digging trenches wont bother with these and the weed on top means they havnt been disturbed for a while. just dig the general area under and around the small goup only. you will get only one or a couple from here then move on to another. look for a single rock that hasnt been moved for a while , again the weed is a givaway. move it and look for signs af a burrow. if they are there just a couple of forks will get probably a single worm, then move on.

using the above method you slowly build up enough for a session without turning over the whole estuary.

sand rag are dug individually. look for bits of weed on the surface of the mud. pull it gently. if its stuck in the mud a ragworm has pulled it into its burrow. start digging about 1ft in front and as deep as poss and work back until you find it. i only get 1 in 3 of these but they are better worms

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

look for small groups of smallish rocks that have some weed on top. idealy, probably on the edge of the mud. the lads digging trenches wont bother with these and the weed on top means they havnt been disturbed for a while. just dig the general area under and around the small goup only. you will get only one or a couple from here then move on to another. look for a single rock that hasnt been moved for a while , again the weed is a givaway. move it and look for signs af a burrow. if they are there just a couple of forks will get probably a single worm, then move on.

using the above method you slowly build up enough for a session without turning over the whole estuary.

sand rag are dug individually. look for bits of weed on the surface of the mud. pull it gently. if its stuck in the mud a ragworm has pulled it into its burrow. start digging about 1ft in front and as deep as poss and work back until you find it. i only get 1 in 3 of these but they are better worms
was gonna say that bill m8t:)
i follow tide down & move the flat rocks & if u r quick enough the rag have thereheads pocking out, i just grab the head with finger & thumb & squeeze litely
& pull slowly:) no comments plz lads, they just come out no bother & no need 4 digging.
it works a treat because thats where u find the bigguns in among the rocks.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i find maddie digging easy but messy, it can be a bit back breaking because your bent down so much.

once you've found a bed that has a high number of worms in it then your home and dry. look for loads of small pin ***** holes and listen for the squelching of the worms blowing the water out of the hole as they burrow.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't know what type of ground you are digging on, but where I get mine, they are in the mud bank/edges of side creeks and small gully's.I use a large maggot riddle and put a forkfull of mud on then wash away the mud and am left with loads (hopefully).

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
the mud i dig from is the hard de- grading black stuff under the sloppy stuff. it's easy to split apart and find the worms though. i have also dug them from de- grading weed and sand, and break the sand up to find the worms.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
easy peasy - offer bait diggin lessons:schmoll:

·
Registered
81 Posts

sounds like alot of effort for virtually no worms - where we dig locally we get 20odd reds a spit so would rather dig 1 spit than lift 20 rocks.

·
Registered
168 Posts

dabcatcher is this the way to dig them at the back of the power station??? or in the middleton basin?? i have been told about these to places but never dug them before.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cheers Dabcatcher i will try down there one day this week as i need some bait and i have been told that the back of the power station is good for lug,rag and clam. just got to buy a fork now :g:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i thought that harbour rag was the same as maddies. little tiny ragworm, found in mud, fished in munches?
i have alway's called the maddies if they come from the river:) no matter how big.
if u come across a big boulder that cant b moved then i dig a trench rite round it, then
start 2 dig away under it. u can bet your bottom dollar there r some big rag under it;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts