World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

In my 'unusual baits' thread a few of you have recommended that I should try and dig my own worms.

I have never done this before and wonder if you guys can give me some advice on digging for both Lug and Rag...?

What tools I'm best taking with me, as light and small as possible please and what signs I'm looking for regarding the worms location etc...

I will be on a shallow sandy beach with a lot of big boulders to oneside...

Cheers as always,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Normally found on muddy/silty beaches look for worm casts (pile of coiled sand) and blow holes (1-2 inch round round depressions).

Find a spot with lots of blow holes and casts and either dig a trench trough the main area. Another way is to dig down quite deep directly between the cast and blow hole the worm lies between its cast and blow hole.

A very very very strong fork is required. B&Q have replaced 5 Wilkinson Sword lifetime garantee ones for me in three weeks

There is a really good section on this site

http://www.worldseafishing.com/inde...id=47&Itemid=62

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there are any mud flats in the area that I am going, just sand beach :confused:

Saying that, I get the impression that this bait digging lark could take a long time and it's a family holiday so I wouldn't want to be rude in disappearing for hours...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's actually North Wales for the holiday this year with Cornwall next year...

I reckon I will take a little fork and see if my luck's in... Can't hurt to try!

Cheers Vaughan,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi jeff

Take a normal garden fork with you to the beach...and have a look for the mounds of round sand that look like they are curled up and a dip in the sand anything up to 6 inches away. You might find they are all mixed up together. there may be big mounds of sand or darker areas where the beach has been dug before...just dig the sand 1 fork width wide in a trench, you might find that you don't get any the first time and may need to go down deeper..... Please remember to fill in any hole that you make as the hole can be dangerous to kids adults and animals...and may be come like quicksand.. depending on how many worm or lug you get in the first ten minutes.. you should have enough in about 30 mins of digging...... you might find the kids enjoy helping you dig the worms and then you don't mess up the holiday...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers BB, he's only nearly 4 months old so a little more time for him and bait digging yet!!!

As a general rule of thumb, what's the deepest I expect to be digging?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts