World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i always dig my bait , but was looking at a bait pump. How do they work, are they worth the money ?. Is it any easier to get bait than digging. let me know your veiws i dont want to buy one and find they are no good..

thanks..

MB.

· Registered
6,715 Posts
hi mb

pumps are brilliaint matey imho but it all depends on what sort of ground your pumping on ,

soft ,wet muddy ground there fine

really hard compact full of stone /shell not so clever

i was taught to dig worms at an early age and its backbreaking work now that im a lot older:wheelchai i find the pump a lot easier for me and the conditions from where i get them from

if you do a search at the top of the page you'll find a lot of info on this subject

tightlines.............................daz

· The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
hi, pretty much what's been said above, i use a pump, can clear 100 worms in an hour on a good day, just need the right nak and you're there !

check where you intent to dig, it wants to be sand, silty sand is ok too, go as deep as you'd expect to find the worms normally, if there's small gravel etc you'll be ok, but if there's pebbles, you'll poss struggle, ok with the odd one's of course!!! the sand also wants to be fairly compact, loose, dryish sand won't pump aswell as more dense damp / wet sand,

how do they work and how to use ?

they work just like a syringe, it will vary from tide to tide on where the worms are, sometimes they're deep, other times right at the surface, the other night we coulda got loads with their asses poking out !

usually you place the pump a few inches away from the hole, at around 30 degrees from upright, pull the handle and push the shaft about 8-12" down toward the hole, pump the sand out... hopefully a worm, if you find they're not coming, then try closer too, or further back from the hole, and different depths,

obviously you'll need to dig where there are casts, the pumps don't work very well for blow lug which are more often found in just a few inches of sand on rock base etc.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thanks for the reply,s , going to see if i can find or even see someone using one localy, if not may buy one and take the chance. the beach here is a mix, one day its sandy then the sand goes and its stony. some other areas around here would be great for it , will have to get one and try it to see..

many thanks...

MB.

· Registered
2,875 Posts
I use a small amount of cooking oil to keep pump running smooth and a bucket of water to rinse every so often so as not score inside of barrel to much with the sand
throw the cooking oil in the bin mate and use diluted washing up liquid its much better and cleaner the oil just cloggs with sand and you can use it to clean your hands off after pumpin once you have tryed it you will see what i mean

· The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
i bought one and got nothing dont know if i was doing it right but couldnt be bothered a guy on the beach said the sand has to be a certian sort and not to much moisture:yucky: :yucky: cant be bothered my fork is not fussed what it digs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.