World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, only just signed up for the forum.

I want to start recording some of the fish I catch in pictures and was wondering whether anybody could recommend a good digital camera thats durable for sea fishing?

I've had a look at a few of the SLR types, Nikon D70 and the Canon EOS but they can be quite expensive with all the extras.

Do you think I should go for a full on SLR or a compact for taking fish pictures.

Thanks

Jackie

P.S Great forum, been browsing for a while just never posed!

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi jackie, go for one which is A robust B simple to use C has a good carrying case preferably waterproof. The rest depends on your pocket.

C

·
0 Posts
Unless you are a serious photographer like myself I would'nt even consider taking out a D70 or canon EOS, conditions that are encountered when fishing makes it impossible to prevent damage to such sensitive equipment. Personally I have a Canon 20D for pleasure use and a Canon powershot for fishing, any small compact digi camera (Nikon, Hp, Canon, Olympus) are all very highly rated and waterproof ones are advisable,just make sure that you don't get anything below a 3 mill/pix/res for good quality pics.

B

·
0 Posts
Small compacts are the way to go jackie,I use an Olympus C50Zoom it's nice and small and at 5megapixels takes great piccies!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Jackie
The answer to your query seems to be just around the corner - see below. It looks like you won't be able get a price for a couple of months - which probably means it will be expensive too. However, at least you should be able to get lug guts and fish slime all over it, and then wipe it down afterwards. I guess with heaps of megapixels it should be good photos too. Don't ask me what all the guff is about, I just cut and pasted it from a web page.

Pentax has launched a waterproof digital camera, the Optio WP.

The JIS Class 8-equivalent waterproof WP is just 22mm thick, has a 2.0-inch LCD monitor, a 3x optical zoom lens and 5.0 eff ective megapixels producing images of 1560x1920 pixels. The WP is truly waterproof, allowing 30 minutes of continuous underwater shooting at a depth of up to 1.5m or the camera can be used for watersports, skiing and other outdoor activities.

The 6.3-18.9mm 3x optical zoom is equivalent to 38-114mm and has nine groups of 11 elements (three of which are aspherical lenses). For ease of use the WP has a Green mode that fixes all camera settings to a standard combination at the press of the Green button, or for a bit more choice there is the Mode palette, which displays icons for shooting modes for simplified selection. In all, the camera offers a choice of nineteen subject-based exposure modes. On the shooting side, the WP offers continuous AF with tracking AF to keep moving subjects in focus.

Power is supplied by a rechargeable Li-Ion battery.

The WP will be available in April and its price is still to be confirmed.

Also came accross this link

http://www.gadgets.co.uk/waterproof-digital-camera.html

This is 40 quid which I guess means is cr*p, but won't matter too much if you drop it in the oggin altogether.

B

·
0 Posts
Hi Jackie, IMHO a compact digital with 2.0 - 3.0 megapixels would do it.

My personal suggestion would be to look at the Olympus ones that have a sliding front cover over the lens that adds to the protection and they are of god lense quality. This slide panel could come quite useful particulary on sand, beaches, splashy areas etc. A 128 Mb card + AA2500 rechargable batteries should last you for a very long time.

My Olympus D-380 has travelled with me on every fishing, boat, cycle trip and kayak outing and has even survived over hundreds of trips through active wet caves and some sumps. I use a small waterproof pelicase to carry and take it out for photos only. It lives in my tackle box when we go out fishing.

I do have an SLR (Olympus) and a better digitals (Fuji + Sony) but use them only when I am going specifically for photography. In any event I have pelicases for all my still + video cameras that cost me a bit at first but has saved me a lot of money over the years. Best

Izzy

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Wow don't you learn a lot on these forums (Four eyes?) Wot good advice!
Waterproof - yes, there's a lot of it about, and some has salt in it. Electronics don't like salt so they tell me. Otherwise, try not to catch your fish when its raining, or dark (cheap flash is crap)

The TOTALLY waterproof one that's coming and allows you to photograph your fish UNDERWATER (presumably BEFORE you hook it) sounds great. Does it spread groundbait too or does it enter the sea search around and then FISHFIND AUDIBLY?!
"Wouldn't fish 'ere mate nothing's ever been caught here unless it's stormy/not stormy/big tide/little tide/only on worm/never on worm" or "cast further/shorter/wrong rod/hook/line/sinker" etc.

Seriously, the best pics are taken by non-fishing colleagues, look in the magazines!
AND YOU get to be in the pici!
JUST DON'T SPEND A LOT!
(I use a now obselete Olympus with a brilliant lens but only take it to places I know I can protect it easily from everything the shore has to offer!)

How about a section for seaside shots Mike?
Guess where this is, sort of thing.​

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. I'm going to be on the net all nite looking at those suggestions :D

Thanks again..jackie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts