World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few of you on here go out on Dinghys, we are looking at the following one on Ebay (New), looking to get the mount and a small outboard for it as well.

(Ebay link removed)

We think it is a good price/deal....

I assume a battery powered outbaord is ok, how long does a fully charged battery last for, and what engine size req?

Also, where around Medway can you launch from etc...?

And how would it do being lauched, going out in a bay etc in good conditions.

Thought it would be best to post on the local forum, as it would be for local use.

Seen a few of you use them on here, and we have thought about it for a while now...

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Regards

Dave and Kez

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
in my opion and i dont no a great deal about boating\dingy i would say look for something more like this

(Ebay link removed)

cheap is good but could be very dangerous to urself friends and family im sure these boats have a good rep and may be able to get a secound hand one in good nick quite cheap, u can get them with wooden floors and allsorts mate much more ideal for fishing of

G

·
Sorry lads, by all means post a picture and / or description but links to Ebay are not allowed on the site.
I know it has rather ruined the thread but rules are rules and I have to be a jobsworth:unsure:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry lads, by all means post a picture and / or description but links to Ebay are not allowed on the site.
I know it has rather ruined the thread but rules are rules and I have to be a jobsworth:unsure:
No probs, here is a pic of it, it is a INtex SeaHawk 400, even has rod holders, and a mount is 29.99 for an outboard, boat itself is 49.00 plus 15 delivery, seen a review that it is a great boat, and can take 4, so for two fishing, should be fine :D

I know some go out in the good old dinghys. So here it is...

These are all sold new, does it look anygood at all?

Love a real boat, but price, and for where we would use it = overkill :D

Dave n Kez

Attachments

G

·
:eek: :eek: Rather you than me mate!!!! That's an overgrown kids plastic toy...not something I would dream of trying to use as a fishing boat:uhuh: Why not save up and buy a PROPER inflatable? .......One made from rubberised fabric or the like.

G

·
Oh and as for a battery powered motor...that's another no no!It would not have the power to handle the tides in the Medway/Thames estuary!

G

·
Hi Dave n Kez,

I personally wouldn't think about taking one of those onto the sea. They are more suited to sheltered lakes

The dinghy that my partner and I use is an Avon and it is made of hypalon so pretty tough. Vinyl is the sort of material kiddies paddling pools are made of.

The other thing that would concern me with you venturing out to sea with an electric trolling motor outboard is the actual power of it.
Cascars was out in his boat last Sunday and I am sure he said he was drifting at 4 knots while pulling the anchor up. We were also out and my partner couldn't believe how strong the tide is just a couple of hundred yards off the beach. I don't think the electric motor would make any headway in that sort of tide. I know that I probably couldn't row against it.

I am just thinking of your safety here. I know it is very tempting reading the threads on how well we do out in a dinghy but it's not just inflate dinghy and go fishing.

We check the weather/inshore waters/shipping forecast for a couple of days before we go and then only go out if it is perfect conditions.I also check everything before it goes in the car. Lifejackets, flares, compass, anchor & rope (that's your handbrake), outboard, fuel, depth sounder, battery, first aid kit, fire extingusher etc...(you get the idea).

here is a rough idea as to what we take with us (and the fishing gear as well)

It isn't cheap to get everything together (ask thornbackflounder) but it is your safety you have to think of first.

By all means pm me if you want to know more and maybe come and see what we take with us.

I hope this is some food for thought.

Malcolm.

G

·
maybe a punctue in it would propell the "boat" back to shore better than the motor?!!deffo a no no as far as i'm concerened.....dave.

G

·
propper job my boat is i'll have u know,just don't get on the water too much!i'd sooner be in that that a bleeding balloon for a day on the water thats for sure:giveup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I know the boat is a rubberised Vinyl, .76mm thick with an under lying mesh, and that they have been used as sialing boats with a conversion as well...

However noting the tides etc up the medway, a friend of ours mum has a 15 foot boat, and he talked about the cost of one etc....which as we are looking to replace one of our cars (with a Honda HRV for all the gear, with a Tow Bar :D), we may look at doing it properly and get an actual boat, so we will look into it....

A friend of ours, who introduced to sea fishing, has a dinghy, it's a Navigator 3, with an electric outboard, and he took that accross the bay, damned if I can remember the name where in Dorset/Cornwall, when he picked up our food at the same time and more bait :D

That only had an electric, but after reading on here, I now question his sanity (I never thought he had much lol)

If we are to go fish, say not far out, or up the Medway etc, what would people recommend, the cost of a decent dinghy, outbard equipment, vs say a 16 foot boat, and how long it will last you in comparrison, and the use you can get out of it......I wonder if the full boat may be a better long term option?

Myself, if not both of us, fish most weekends, and a couple of weeknights so would be worth a look, and we are not far from Medway for a mooring...

Hmmmmm

More to think about, adivce greatfully received, and thanks to you all...

Any suggestions for what we should be looking at?

If I put a budget of 2500 for dinghy/boat/equipment etc?

Dave n Kez

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Hi Dave N Kez , 2500 Will Buy You A Decent Dinghy Set Up ,,,with A Petrol Engine,,,,,,NoNo On The Electric, As You Have Been Told I Know, But There Some Cracking People On Here With Good Sound Advice, The Medway Has Some Real Strong Currents,under Currents,as Such Im No Expert By A Long Shot ,but Your Better Off,,,,when The Weather Is Perfect Mind......no Breeze Even ,then A Little Trip To Minis/ Reculver Not Wondering To Far Out Tho,,,,,,im Still Finding Me Feet Myself,,but Id Take The Sound Solid Advice From The Experienced Folk On Here,,,,,,,,i Gotta Laugh When They Advertise A Toy Like That, And Say Its Great To Go Fishing In The River Net Alone The Sea,,,,good Luck To You Both And Hope You Get What You Want And Is Right Allso ,,,tight Lines ps i found pirates cave most helpful they are at strood medway allso there is a shop in gillingham which do avon hyperlon dinghys ,they have them pumped up on display there exspensive tho

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Dave N Kez , 2500 Will Buy You A Decent Dinghy Set Up ,,,with A Petrol Engine,,,,,,NoNo On The Electric, As You Have Been Told I Know, But There Some Cracking People On Here With Good Sound Advice, The Medway Has Some Real Strong Currents,under Currents,as Such Im No Expert By A Long Shot ,but Your Better Off,,,,when The Weather Is Perfect Mind......no Breeze Even ,then A Little Trip To Minis/ Reculver Not Wondering To Far Out Tho,,,,,,im Still Finding Me Feet Myself,,but Id Take The Sound Solid Advice From The Experienced Folk On Here,,,,,,,,i Gotta Laugh When They Advertise A Toy Like That, And Say Its Great To Go Fishing In The River Net Alone The Sea,,,,good Luck To You Both And Hope You Get What You Want And Is Right Allso ,,,tight Lines ps i found pirates cave most helpful they are at strood medway allso there is a shop in gillingham which do avon hyperlon dinghys ,they have them pumped up on display there exspensive tho
Thanks Thorn will go check them out :D

Something for the weekend sir, yeah I'll take a boat mate lol

Well, back to reading up on it...

Once I get my mate to let us have a look round his mum's 15ft boat, which he can take out on the rivers during the week :D

Dave n Kez

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Looks like a LiLo with sides.
I wouldnt dare take it out on anything more than a swimming pool.
Forget it until you can afford something a lot more substantial c/w a petrol engine.
This one will only end in tears.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Hi Dave n Kez,

I personally wouldn't think about taking one of those onto the sea. They are more suited to sheltered lakes

The dinghy that my partner and I use is an Avon and it is made of hypalon so pretty tough. Vinyl is the sort of material kiddies paddling pools are made of.

The other thing that would concern me with you venturing out to sea with an electric trolling motor outboard is the actual power of it.
Cascars was out in his boat last Sunday and I am sure he said he was drifting at 4 knots while pulling the anchor up. We were also out and my partner couldn't believe how strong the tide is just a couple of hundred yards off the beach. I don't think the electric motor would make any headway in that sort of tide. I know that I probably couldn't row against it.

I am just thinking of your safety here. I know it is very tempting reading the threads on how well we do out in a dinghy but it's not just inflate dinghy and go fishing.

We check the weather/inshore waters/shipping forecast for a couple of days before we go and then only go out if it is perfect conditions.I also check everything before it goes in the car. Lifejackets, flares, compass, anchor & rope (that's your handbrake), outboard, fuel, depth sounder, battery, first aid kit, fire extingusher etc...(you get the idea).

here is a rough idea as to what we take with us (and the fishing gear as well)

It isn't cheap to get everything together (ask thornbackflounder) but it is your safety you have to think of first.

By all means pm me if you want to know more and maybe come and see what we take with us.

I hope this is some food for thought.

Malcolm.
Some real good advice here from Malcolm. He is right when we were on Cascars boat out by the old war forts off herne bay the tide was keeping us at 4 knots as we lightly trolled around the forts. If there was a problem with the engine you would have absolutely no chance whatsoever in trying to row against it. True you deffinately wouldnt go that far out in an inflatable but even 3/4 mile out the tide pull would still be VERY difficult to row against if the engine went bang!

You have listened to the advice and had a good think about it, and taken the suggestions to mind and not to heart, nice one.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts