World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

well after much looking at the weather for the last few days and a lot of checking all the gear my partner and I went out from Minnis Bay in our Avon rover 3.1 inflatable dinghy.

The conditions were perfect and it was days like this I had bought the dinghy for.

Launching this time was made easier by the addition of some transom wheels that I made up the other day out of some old aluminium, a pair of wheels (I cheated and bought these), some stainless bolts and a bit of being inventive.
This was done as it is a bit too heavy with everything in it for my partner to help me carry.

Having arrived at the slipway about 12:30 and noticed there was a sailing dinghy race going on, I asked one of the guys there where they were racing. He pointed out the course to me so we headed up towards Reculver out of the way and anchored some 300 yards form the old sewer pipe at Plum Pudding island.

We started fishing using squid and ammo frozen sandeel and it wasn't long before I had a whiting of about a pound.
My partner Corrie then had two whiting, one after the other, and I thought I was going to get beaten today.
This wasn't to be when I reeled in a doggie of about a pound.

Corrie then had a small doggie just before my rod was almost pulled out of my hand with one of the hardest bites I have ever had in all my years fishing.
A short battle was then had before Corrie just about managed to get this into the net.

This is my personal best thornback but when we went to weight it, we found that I had left the scales (both sets) with all the beach fishing gear at home.
I don't know what it weighed but it was over 10lb at a guess.
If only I had brought the scales...

Corrie and I went on to catch more whiting and I had two more thornbacks before we packed up and headed back to the slipway around 17:30.

While we were packing up, a few more boats came in and I spoke to a couple of people and they had caught loads of whiting early on in the day before they had thornback and one nice bass of about 6-7lb.

If the weather is ok Sunday we will be out again.

Ron, if you read this, you were right! She wants a proper boat now.

Malcolm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nice one Malcolm:clap3: . You can not beat a day on the water when it is as calm as that. May see you on Sunday if you are out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one Malcolm:clap3: . You can not beat a day on the water when it is as calm as that. May see you on Sunday if you are out
Hi Terry, we might try off the rocks between Minnis and Westgate one of the days and the other we migth head a bit more towards Reculver.

I forgot to say that the big one came on squid and the smaller ones as well as the whiting were on sandeel. Doggies were on squid too.
Had a few knocks using mackerel but didn't connect with anything.

I hope that Whopper manages to get one of these spikey things on Sunday.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looks like you had a great day,you dont get many as flat as that, whats the slipway and parking like at minnis, also how many hours either side of high water can the average size boat launch

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Hi Terry, we might try off the rocks between Minnis and Westgate one of the days and the other we migth head a bit more towards Reculver.

I forgot to say that the big one came on squid and the smaller ones as well as the whiting were on sandeel. Doggies were on squid too.
Had a few knocks using mackerel but didn't connect with anything.

I hope that Whopper manages to get one of these spikey things on Sunday.

Malcolm.
So do i Malc!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot say how much i am looking forward to the trip on sunday:clap2: :clap2: . Well done mate and i hope you get a few more of the thornbacks. (Lucky git:kissing: :) )

Edit,

Malcolm im going to copy this thread onto the SE forum if thats ok as i think it should go on there as well :)

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
cracking report and photos,,,well done on a good days fishing,TIGHT LINES

15,082 Posts
Well done Malcolm,good to see you are enjoying yourselves and getting some good fish too on your new boat.Always good when you have the women on side for a boat...Thats half the battle!...When you get that bigger boat and staying on it for a few days you will end up like me and not wanting to anything other than being on your boat.....Great life though and the boat soon becomes part of the family!...Keep up the catching,great reports and pictures :clap3:

Ron

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
great report that malcom,i gotta get my boat in the water this year!:rolleyes: .....dave.
Have you caught a Roker yet dave? im sure you said it was on your hitlist.

Lee.

Im hoping to catch my first tomorow:boat: :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
don't rub it in whop!!!!!

no mate i haven't.there is a very slim chance i might get one monday but i dought it very much.gonna have a bash over shellness on the island with leeboy.may get a bass over there though.....dave.

ps.good luck tomorrow,i'm sure terry will find them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just out of interest i've never caught a thorny ,can you eat em ? an what they taste like sorry for dumb question please forgive me ....
Yes you can eat them The wings are sold as Skate in chippies. I have never eaten one though:yucky:

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
don't rub it in whop!!!!!

no mate i haven't.there is a very slim chance i might get one monday but i dought it very much.gonna have a bash over shellness on the island with leeboy.may get a bass over there though.....dave.

ps.good luck tomorrow,i'm sure terry will find them.
Cheers mate, yeah hopefully they should be about.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone...

I think we are out again tomorrow but will decide once I have seen the weather in the morning.
We haven't fished any special marks, I just say "here will do" and drop anchor. As time goes on I will learn what to look for and as the fishfinder decided it wasn't going to work yesterday I was kind of guessing lol.

I will have the scales with me this time as the pictures don't show how big that thornie really was.
When my partner saw it as it surfaced, she said "we need a bigger boat". I'm sure I heard that saying somewhere before lol.

I still want to catch a thornie from the shore but guess I will have to learn to cast a lot better than I do to reach them.

Next target... a bass over 3lbs and a smoothound when they come in.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
if u have hounds like i had them down there last year u wil need a bigger boat it will seem like ur 5 hp evinrude has just turned into a mercury redband 60 hp, they will tow u acrooss the whole bay mate they go so hear in shallow water

1 - 19 of 19 Posts