World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back in from fishing off Mumbles, the usual load of whiting but they were mostly awfully small. Switched to fish baits to sort out the bigger ones but all that attracted was "growlers", & more small whiting!
The baited spoon came up trumps with the dabs though, especially when it was fished 6" off the bottom, I have enough in my freezer to last me until they come back in May, even if I dont catch any more before they shoot off.
Never saw any cod caught today, never heard any chat on the radio either, weather was beautiful for a 13ft Boston Whaler "flat as a witches tit" as they say, nice small tide to fish off the SWIGG, but there weren't many boats out there, I think most of them took advantage of the weather & headed for Sker & the Scarweather (I dont do them)!
I still reckon Swansea doesn't fish well for cod until the first springs after Xmas, watch this space & see if I aint right, even I will sit out in the "lumps" when the cod are in!
blueskip

·
Registered
413 Posts
Blueskip,
I don't feel quite so bad about having to do the decorating now!

Steve

·
Registered
325 Posts
did you fish the flood or the ebb, it would be nice to know cos i was thinking of going after the flatties today on the boat, but it didn't happen, tomorrow there's a comp down loughour so i might go after them down pennard cliffs tomorrow night ,failing that iv'e got my sights set on the big tides next weekend for the migrating cardiff cod, that are all coming to swansea next weekend after the prime swansea bay lug aint that right poacher.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
u better behave doghop. our cod r staying here.actually i am thinkin of poppin up 2 swansea and having a go..............................what about that then m8....

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fished the last hour of the flood & all the ebb, plenty of action all the way through but all the whiting were small, half a dozen of a pound, the rest were very small but they were about in their hundreds so we had plenty of bites. Dabs were plentiful & some good sized ones on the baited spoon.
blueskip

·
Registered
325 Posts
thanks for that,i didn,t get a chance to go today i,ve just got in, work took longer than i thought, so my plan is to get some live razors down oxwich and use them next weekend on the bigger tides, and do cardiff cod need a passport for the swigg i'll definately be asking for i.d.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dog Hop Cardiff cod are only cod that they have borrowed from Swansea, they wont know what a razor fish is, the only white things they see off the Ranie & the foreshore are what we call "Mumbles Salmon", (they come in a variety of flavours).
If you do catch one that doesn't seem right & if its a Cardiff cod, it will say that it has only slipped out "for a pint of dark & a Mars bar at the Arms Park", if it does, put it back, it'll taste awful!
blueskip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts