World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, its local fisher,

I am looking for a motored dinghy, i do not know much about this sort of fishing so i was wondering if anyone can help me out.

I am looking for a cheap dinghy with motor and maybe a trailer, can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
hi local, look in the adtrader, the weekly yellow paper in newsagents, £1.60pence. theres always a few in there m8....

·
Registered
311 Posts
state what type, length,fiberglass,wood or inflatables do you want a cabin or an open boat

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Localfisher
I tried a variety of dinghies before I settled on mine, what you want to avoid is a round bilged dinghy, I have tried several types of them & they will roll on a wet lawn, traditional "clinker" or grp "rowing boat" shapes are similar, they are fine when you are moving, but they dont like having the "handbrake " on! Go for something that is multi-hulled like a Dell Quay Dory, or a Boston Whaler, I think the "Dejon 14" is something similar, they are far more stable at anchor, plane easier, & have much more fishing & storage space than a "pointed fronter".
You will no doubt get lots of opinions about this subject, all will be different, some will love their little "rock & rollers" but for me its a multi-hull after years of being rocked by every wake that went past! no more though, I go up & down sure, but not side to side any more! multi-hulls rule ok! I tried to attach a photo of my boat but it was too big, send me your e-mail address & I will send you a photo of my Boston Whaler.
blueskip

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that,

I am looking for a cheap dinghy with a motor, i dont mind the size or type as long as it is really strong and stirdy. i have about £100 will this get me a decent dinghy(without the motor). i plan to go just off the coast. i am looking at a 9.7 feet inflatable Dinghy will this suit me?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
local, not being rude but you wont get far on a 100quid. and a 9ft dinghy is out of the question, we used 2 use bigger than that in the yacht club 2 get out 2 our fishing boats. u would b daft 2 go out in somthing like that. coastguard wouldnt b 2 happy either. u need 2 find some1 with a boat and hopefully go out with them for a couple of years, and learn m8. honestly it can b dangerous out there. i am only trying 2help. stik 2 the beach till then. or get a charter boat..

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I agree with Poacher on this one local, you will need something at least 13ft to be safe, try e-bay there are always bargains on there, the only problem is picking them up from wherever they are, but they usually have a trailer with them. Take some spanners, find out what the trailer wheels are off, & take a set of wheel bearings with you when you go. I have seen some real bargains on there recently for £300/£500, leave the rubber dinghy for the pool, unless its a RIB. send me your e-mail address & I will send you a photo of my dinghy, its about the minimum you can SAFELY get away with.
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Local just looked on e-bay there is an 18.5ft fast monohull/fishing boat & trailer currently at £230 with 1day 2hrs of the auction left, it looks just the job for what you want. It doesn't have an engine with it but you can pick one of them up once you have the hull & trailer spruced up, as poacher say's dont be in a rush to get out without the right gear.
blueskip

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that skip,

i would like to see your boat that would be good, i do think that i would need much more experience at this. Is a dorey type boat right for the job?
And what is a hull?

·
Registered
311 Posts
localfisher said:
Thanks for that,

I am looking for a cheap dinghy with a motor, i dont mind the size or type as long as it is really strong and stirdy. i have about £100 will this get me a decent dinghy(without the motor). i plan to go just off the coast. i am looking at a 9.7 feet inflatable Dinghy will this suit me?
localfisher at a £100 your only going to get something you will have to do a lot of work on. i have had all sorts of boats for 35 yrs and ive got the smallest i would go formyself doing coastal fishing and am still learning and very warey of the sea.my advice to you is befreind someone with years of experience and a boat and learn the basics off him

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, i will have to do this.
i am very intersted in getting a boat but have had no experience with them.
Are they expensive to maintain and do you keep yours at a harbour? and have you gotta pay to keep it there?

·
Registered
311 Posts
localfisher said:
Yes, i will have to do this.
i am very intersted in getting a boat but have had no experience with them.
Are they expensive to maintain and do you keep yours at a harbour? and have you gotta pay to keep it there?
localfisher what i have now is a 4mtr inflatable so its easy to tow the only maintainance is to wash it down and cleen the engine. if your looking for moorings then it becomes expensive the cheepest place that ive kept a 4 berth yacht is cardiff yacht club in cardiff bay about £200 a year other than that get 1 to tow and if you intend to fish on your own make sure the boat is light enough for you to launch and get back on the trailor what ever you buy ask to see it on the water

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so you actually do have an inflatable?
obviously with an engine, what hp does it have, do you go out fishing in it locally

·
Registered
311 Posts
localfisher said:
so you actually do have an inflatable?
obviously with an engine, what hp does it have, do you go out fishing in it locally
localfisher
yes i have a 4mtr avon sportboat with a 7.5hp outboard which gets it up on the plane easily also have a 4hp backup just in case but only 2 fish off it. mainly launch from the slipway in penarth but also sandersfoot, tenby,and occasionally mumbles but its got to be good sea state wise

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Local
Yes a dory is a very good choice, it has the same shape hull (a hull is the bit that goes in the water, mono=single, multi =several) as mine its called a cathedral type hull (which from the front looks like three ordinary hulls side by side VVV) I find this to be the most stable type of small boat. They "slap" a little as the waves hit the front, & in "short chop" waves if you aren't going fast enough you get spray in your gob! Dont be put off by having to do work on it, its the best way of getting to know boats, & other boatowners are always willing to tell you where you are going wrong, because somebody did the same to them, I found there was always a helping hand available.
blueskip

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so, harpo do you know anywhere that i can get an inflatable and motor?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Localfisher
there is a 4.1mtr Avon Searider on e-bay at the moment in Denbigh, with a trailer (rusty & iffy) at present £205 with 5hrs to run on the auction, you wont get much cheaper than that.
blueskip

1 - 18 of 18 Posts