World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to the brilliant Dingle area in May for the 4th time, love the place but have had limited success in the past, few wrasse and pollack, couple of flaties but that has been it! Any tips to increase my catches would be welcome, looking at targeting Ventry area which I havent fished in the past and possibly opposite lighthouse, any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
64 Posts
going to the brilliant Dingle area in May for the 4th time, love the place but have had limited success in the past, few wrasse and pollack, couple of flaties but that has been it! Any tips to increase my catches would be welcome, looking at targeting Ventry area which I havent fished in the past and possibly opposite lighthouse, any help would be appreciated!
Hi steve, get "A guide to shore angling on the dingle peninsula" by bob moss. It gives you all the best marks, what to catch and what bait to use at the marks. Small glossey book 64 pages , invaluable. Amazon will sort you, or if you live near carryduff, i'll lend you mine,
tight lines
Opps i see you dont live near carryduff so buy one mate lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi steve, get "A guide to shore angling on the dingle peninsula" by bob moss. It gives you all the best marks, what to catch and what bait to use at the marks. Small glossey book 64 pages , invaluable. Amazon will sort you, or if you live near carryduff, i'll lend you mine,
tight lines
Opps i see you dont live near carryduff so buy one mate lol
thanks william , got the dvd and book now!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Steve
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the DVD from? I've got both Bob's books - which are absolutely priceless when it comes to fishing the Dingle peninsula - but I've never been able to find the DVD.

Cheers

Richard

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have a pm
thanks Jakell for the info! I cant wait to go now, have you fished around cloughor and Slea Head for the wrasse? i remember going on an organised trip many years ago but needing a rope to get down! Just me and Mrs this time so no ropes allowed.

Love the storm beeches, im told lots or rays around in May would you suggest any particular spots? Any help gratefully received. Staying at inch, then Miltown second part of week

·
Registered
515 Posts
Steve I have fished both Clogher and Slea head and stunning as it is it might not be suitable for you and the wife as the climb down can be lethal.

For an easily accessable rock mark onto quality fishing ground for pollack wrasse try the blasket centre , park at the bottom of the lane over the style and onto the ledges again watch the swell and dont be frightened to fish on the bottom with ragworm.

If you want a chat about anything drop me a pm and i will give you my number.

As for the rays theres a ray competition held by Tralee sac in May where they try and fish everywhere they can to catch as many species as they can Speak to Chris Sullevan in Atlantic tackle in Tralee for more info he is on facebook

·
Registered
515 Posts
My reply to Steve ....no secrets after all

Steve, I have fished the Dingle Peninsula every year for the last 10 years as part of the Daiwa Pairs competition which is held in Septemeber.

As the previous posts suggest Bob is an excellent man to use as appoint of reference He is still about and I have his number somewhere which when I get a chance I will dig out for you.

As for the fishing the place is second to none.

In my experience and more than a few hours spent on its beaches Dingle Harbour and bay are not worth fishing unless you want giant congers at your feet in the harbour in between the boat ponttons or mullet by the fish factory.

Mackerel also present in numbers at the loading dock

The lighthouse has mackerel and Pollack but the ground is very rough.

There are ledges to the left of the lighthouse fish onto clean ground for rays dogs dabs and flounders its a tricky climb down but easy when you are set up.

To the left of the ledges theres a small strand named Been Bawn I had 3 bass there last year in 2 hours 67cm 55cm and 62cm all on crab and into the surf.

Not far from there is Trabeg and that can and does fish very well over low water onto clean ground from a sandy beach

Be prepared to travel for the fishing I have found Ventry very poor other than dogs Nearly all the rock ledges will show huge Pollack and wrasse just watch the swells.

Bally ferriter beach can and does show big flounder and bass especially when the surf is running again to crab and worm baits.

The surf beaches over the top of the Conor pass are simply stunning and can fish very well especially after dark My fave being Brandon Beach where again we had bass and small eyed rays all to specimen size generally to sandeel baits both in close and at distance.

This is just a few of the marks available drop me a reply and I will be happy to share as much info as possible.

Also speak to Chris O Sullevan in Atlantic Tackle in Tralee which is well stocked fishing shop run by a very good angler He will be happy to share tips and advice and he will also supply top quality bait if needed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info, much appreciated, I will give you a shout closer to the time and call at Atlantic tackle as you advise, its a place were catching almost does n't matter but is a nice bonus......

Steve I have fished both Clogher and Slea head and stunning as it is it might not be suitable for you and the wife as the climb down can be lethal.

For an easily accessable rock mark onto quality fishing ground for pollack wrasse try the blasket centre , park at the bottom of the lane over the style and onto the ledges again watch the swell and dont be frightened to fish on the bottom with ragworm.

If you want a chat about anything drop me a pm and i will give you my number.

As for the rays theres a ray competition held by Tralee sac in May where they try and fish everywhere they can to catch as many species as they can Speak to Chris Sullevan in Atlantic tackle in Tralee for more info he is on facebook

1 - 15 of 15 Posts