World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, while we are in thinking mode and just before we all service our equipment ready for a new year........
I was at a round table discussion with a few local authorities as part of my work and the people who deal with waste and the protection of birds came up twice.
Anyhow the upshot is that our discarded line which we put in the bin is catching gulls and other birds when its in the landfill sites. I had never given it much thought but the remedy is to put your scissors through it a few times to reduce the length to under a foot.
Its a quick easy thing to do and it will save anglers some negative PR even though we have discarded the line legitimately it seems we are still getting the blame for bird kills.
Happy new year all...... moving back to Chesil next week so my next post should be a catch report and after a two month absence I don't care if its rocking ;-)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
How anyone can just discard yards of line is beyond me.

Beyond daft.
I think the op was talking about re spooling 200 yrds of line on a multiplier or mangle ready for the new season Nick. It would nine times out of ten end up in the bin in the kitchen...black bag in the dustbin, and ultimately on a landfill site where it could catch wildlife....

Always wrap said line round my hand / elbow when stripping the reels, then cut into four sections at least, just to give less potential risk to wildlife. I'm sure it biodegrades quicker that way as well.

Mart.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
when I strip my reels I put an old spool that once had line on it on to a tapered wooden spindle that will fit in a drill chuck. then use the drill to strip the reel. I re-use the spool until it is full. it will never end up in landfill as I put it in the bin I use for burning the hedge cuttings etc and burn it.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Hi All, while we are in thinking mode and just before we all service our equipment ready for a new year........
I was at a round table discussion with a few local authorities as part of my work and the people who deal with waste and the protection of birds came up twice.
Anyhow the upshot is that our discarded line which we put in the bin is catching gulls and other birds when its in the landfill sites. I had never given it much thought but the remedy is to put your scissors through it a few times to reduce the length to under a foot.
Its a quick easy thing to do and it will save anglers some negative PR even though we have discarded the line legitimately it seems we are still getting the blame for bird kills.
Happy new year all...... moving back to Chesil next week so my next post should be a catch report and after a two month absence I don't care if its rocking ;-)
Noted!
Welcome back, Pete. Look forward to your posts!

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
It's in their No:11

Draft Sussex Advisory Angling Code of Conduct

As a means to present Sussex RSAs as both responsible and creditable, as local councils are reviewing their byelaws, Sussex sea anglers would be wise to consider a view that we would be prefer to fish by a voluntary code of conduct rather than have draconian byelaws forced upon us; some local anglers have composed this Advisory code of conduct and would like to invite all Anglers fishing from the Sussex Coast to pass on their comments and recommendations.

We have provided this draft of an advisory Code of Conduct for Sussex shore anglers, a code for boat angling will follow should this be requested. We emphasize that this code should not be confused with angling clubs codes of conduct which are obligatory. The Code of Conduct is a guidance document that is presented to both aid Sussex shore anglers and to promote better understanding of their activity amongst the general public and marine management agencies. We welcome your comments in advance of releasing an agreed Advisory Code of Conduct.

The code consists of two parts, the first part being made up of bullet points to aid the Sussex councils in publishing the code on the foreshore and the second an in-depth code to be published on the web-site

Bullet Points

Angling:

1. Respect the space and safety of all other foreshore users

2. If the beach is crowded or people are swimming, fish at a quieter time or elsewhere

3. Use a shock leader, check all around before casting and maintain a safe distance

4. Be responsible for your tackle at all times

5. Only take fish you will eat. Carefully return other fish back into the sea

6. Whilst handling your catch, please be discreet and responsible

7. Use a drop net when fishing a jetty, harbour arm or pier

8. Avoid fishing potentially hazardous venues on your own

9. Report any indication of pollution to the appropriate authority.

10. Adhere to all local byelaws

11. Take all rubbish away including unwanted tackle and bait, cut discarded fishing line into small sections

12. Please be considerate to local residents when parking or leaving late at night

Bait Digging/Collecting:

1. Refrain from digging in restricted areas, moorings and slipways

2. Back-fill all holes for safety, and maintain the inter-tidal habitat

3. Replace all rocks and weed in their original positions

4. Only dig/collect enough bait for yourself, and or family and friends

5. Be aware of local hazards, conditions and the speed of incoming tides

6. Avoid disturbing wildlife and the marine environment wherever possible

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
I would think that all sensible people would do most of those things anyway.... at least most of those on WSF.... It may well require a wider audience than here to get that across!

Matter of interest... who were 'some local Anglers' who came up with that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It needs modification.

3. If 'distance' or power casting use a shock leader, check all around before casting and maintain a safe distance.

I will not use a shock leader to placate those who do not understand inertia or Newton's Laws, I can cast safely, at the distances I like to fish and the tackle I like to fish with, without a shock leader. I would not like to be put into a position of people claiming my actions to be dangerous because 'I was breaking the code'.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I would think that all sensible people would do most of those things anyway.... at least most of those on WSF.... It may well require a wider audience than here to get that across!

Matter of interest... who were 'some local Anglers' who came up with that?
Like the ATSMR, SSAN held a few regional meetings to get the opinions of Sussex sea anglers, we invited clubs and tackle shops along as well, though very few made the effort. The draft COC was also posted on here WSF south coast sections where several members made the effort to comment, this did help to alter some of the wording. There was a lot of involvement from those working against the Rother DC byelaw proposals in Bexhill. However, the COC remains in only a draft version, though there has been some interest from other orgs/clubs in other regions. SSAN's agreement was always to freely offer advice to any club, angler or region and the COC was there for everyone to use, adopt or alter as they see best because it belongs to all of you anyway.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
It needs modification.

3. If 'distance' or power casting use a shock leader, check all around before casting and maintain a safe distance.

I will not use a shock leader to placate those who do not understand inertia or Newton's Laws, I can cast safely, at the distances I like to fish and the tackle I like to fish with, without a shock leader. I would not like to be put into a position of people claiming my actions to be dangerous because 'I was breaking the code'.
This bullet point was in relation to pendulum casting and came to be because of those match anglers actively involved in the SSAN membership. Remember it clearly states it is a voluntary COC. It was certainly not intended to be used when mullet fishing, float fishing or gentle overhead casting from a harbour wall, jetty or river bank etc.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Or put 'em up somewhere else apart from here!

I've had first hand experience of some of Reg's bright ideas before....

Comes up with rules and then bails out leaving others in the mire.
A typically sad response from you Gee, for your information it's not MY code but a code worked on by Sussex anglers including those that fish on Shoreham Arm. It already has widespread support.

I do wish you would show them more respect.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts