World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Desperate to broaden my horizon, spots hit and species caught
A nice ray is on my list.
So I drive 2 hours , pay a decent amount for my bait , to be told my some young buck that the best way to catch rays is match hooks size 4,tiny baits and as close to rocks as you can. I was that gobsmacked that someone would hand out foul advice that I just walked out. Even the older guy behind the counter looked at his idiot of a colleague as if to say why on earth would you do that!
I'm lucky enough to get to fish everyday if I want to , and can travel
As of late been feeling like I'm getting a lot of waft advice from people
I thought sea fishing was different to carp fishing in that sense but had a tackle shop tell me I needed to use size 4 hooks and fish in the rocks for thornbacks . He clearly thought this was my first rodeo
Shocked was an understatement but the geezer was a complete arse.
I've fished all of my life coarse and sea carp and cat but just wanna start species hunting without crap advice from people that think they own every fish on the bloody ocean .
20 years angling experience, and I've never been so offended .
What a c#£k

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Its not just Seafishing,
or Carp fishing
its just some young bucks in general but they do grow-up, to be dicheads;)

Had the same, was after another rock rod, 2-piece to chuck upto 7oz, the child behind the counter at the mega store ? tried to tell me i wanted some 3-piece conti rod ???? i just walked away and would not let it bother me. I"ve been seafishing longer than that young buck had been alive. Had some **** in a tackle shop try to make me out a fool, he was English, in Portrush NI, and could not understand my Ulster twang:rolleyes: i told him id "knock his loaf in" an he understood that hahahah.

Fedstar...:whistling:

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
The loaf bit made me crease up haha
I couldn't believe my ears I think I actually rubbed my eyes in disbelief
Ah just got to sometimes let it slide Dominic:)
You need a local shop and once they know you, you"ll not get any grief!
Kids eh, i like kids but i could not eat a whole one:D

Mark...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed
The only two shops near me don't really give a crap about sea fishing there's not as much cash in it as carping and I can tell that's why they ain't interested in it
Also no knowledge of local makes
To be honest I just want some sound advice and to catch my first decent rays.
Gonna head down chesil beach hopefully find someone to buddy up with I've seen some fantastic catch reports from there

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Get yourself some Herring from tescos,
its very cheap per kg and over here its a number one Ray catcher.
Find an Estuarine system and post on the local section for advice on tides and marks.

Its a funny thing, in Lough Swilly Donegal, the Roker are a right pain, flat dogfish and such a dire fish to catch. I have not fished in years for Thornbacks and have never felt the need to go fishing for them again.
Saying that i love catching Cuckoo Ray, hard to catch over here and it takes a certain time of year and tide to have a chance, i have caught 2:geek:

Mark...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Agreed
The only two shops near me don't really give a crap about sea fishing there's not as much cash in it as carping and I can tell that's why they ain't interested in it
Also no knowledge of local makes
To be honest I just want some sound advice and to catch my first decent rays.
Gonna head down chesil beach hopefully find someone to buddy up with I've seen some fantastic catch reports from there
As a newbie I have read lots of articles and watched lots of you tube videos on how to catch a ray or hound. And I have gone to chesil thinking I'm going to get a good fish only to blank.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
As a newbie I have read lots of articles and watched lots of you tube videos on how to catch a ray or hound. And I have gone to chesil thinking I'm going to get a good fish only to blank.
Hiya Terry,
keep reading articles, keep trying but there is no substitute for just picking a couple of venues
and fishing them, the actual facts cannot be gained unless you put the hours in.
I would say the guys that catch at Chesil dont just turn up,
tides and winds will play a large part in putting fish on the beach and so when they will fish it.

What are the Ray feeding on at Chesil ? brit/sandeels ? you have to know more about the Rays quarry than the Ray themselves, find the food, you"ll find fish.

You need to walk before you can run and in this game it could take years,
so knuckle down and learn your craft. Enjoy just fishing learning thinking, and the fish will come to your baits.

I"m 40 years seafishing and have had many a long spell in my younger days catching nowt or pin Whiting or tiny Rockling, some guys like fishing, some like the catching, i love both:BigGrin:

Fedstar...

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
When I first got a rod I just went to the beach and chucked it in. It has taken me 6 months to realise that my favourite beach fishes better at night.
There you go Terry, that one piece of information ( beach fshed better at night) can now be applied to all your fishing spots, i would say it will work on most venues. Other than spinning or Mackerel bashing all my other fishing is done at night, more times its evening into night in the lighter months and all darkness in Winter:BigGrin:

If you care to Terry, fish your favourite beach pick some night close to full moon and fish over high water, soon after fish some night over low. Then try it a few weeks later on the new moon and so on and so forth. Try it West winds, East if ye can get them, South and North. You will soon build up a picture of when the beach is at its best.
Try to do some sunset/rise/ moonset/rise fishing. Be on the beach and fishing 50mins before moon rise/set, sunrise/set. Take notes on how you fair.

https://www.ntslf.org/
https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/uk/london
https://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Chart/1/?type=sst

Links may help you.

Mark...

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I"m 40 years seafishing and have had many a long spell in my younger days catching nowt or pin Whiting or tiny Rockling,:BigGrin:
What the hell am i talking about ? still have many a night with Pin Whiting and Rockling:smile2:

...:whistling:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I caught my first Thornback last summer, it was about 5lbs and I got it on a big chunk of Squid on a decent sized hook, got it by good fortune rather than knowledge or skill !!

Reactions: ebo and Terry699

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I caught my first Thornback last summer, it was about 5lbs and I got it on a big chunk of Squid on a decent sized hook, got it by good fortune rather than knowledge or skill !!
If you're in the right place and the right time you can get what ever is there. I never seem to be in the right place or at the right time

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Terry, I was on a boat out of Fleetwood and the skipper was telling us to go for flatties, but nothing was biting. So I thought I wasn't going to waste time so I took the small hooks off, put new end rig on with bigger hooks, half a squid, and as soon as the bait hit the bottom I was on to a Thornback, my first ever. It was fun bringing it up, it gave me quite a time for such a small fish. It was the best ray of the day on the boat and my best fish of the day.
Like you say, right place, right time, right end tackle and right bait. And, I was the least experienced angler on the boat !!

Reactions: ebo

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
while we're discussing bad tackle shops, there is a great shop in the North East called North East Tackle Supplies, known as NETS. They have great gear, offer great prices, but they have one sales person who although knows everything there is to know about fishing is a lousy sales person. Spends all his time on the lap top and lets customers wait for ages. I was waiting three quarters of an hour for his help once and I was the only customer in the shop. He just has no idea how to look after or communicate information to customers. In the end I asked him if I should come on a different day.... We have named him Flash Gordon. In fairness to the shop, everyone else there is great.

Reactions: fedstar

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
e Talking about Carp, I have never seen an industry built around one fish! Those carp anglers seem to spend vast sums of money compared to us lot!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Then there are the carp anglers who camp out for days on end waiting for one bite - that's why I like sea fishing - chuck your bait in and see what comes up LOL!!

OK, I know it's a bit more than that!

Reactions: Terry699

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
e Talking about Carp, I have never seen an industry built around one fish! Those carp anglers seem to spend vast sums of money compared to us lot!
Yes on bait , the rods are a lot cheaper than ours ,a guy in work bought a new one and he thought it was dear at £100 , I said he ought to look at the sea fishing section and see the price of our rods

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.