World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :wave: lol,
Oh dear, what is happening to the Sole?
Arrived at Denge Marsh 7.15pm, about 15cars there. up and over the bank and about 40 'anglers', nearly all oriental and indian Mackereling.
Sea was calm as calm apart from the disturbance of the shoals. Caught a few Mackies and Scad, picked up a a nice bag of whitebait too. Dusk came, everyone went home, and left just me and Gerbillious to the night. HW 10.30. Whiting switched on at HW..... and switched off (totally) at 11.30pm. Not a breath of wind, sea like a sheet of glass, Absolutely spot on. Had hardly a knock for over an hour, bait coming back untouched, not even nibbled by a crab. For a place to have been teeming with fish 3hrs earlier, it was quite uncanny. Things did not improve, gave up at just after 01.00.
Our bait was A1 as per usual but alas we took most home to be frozen down with the rest of it from previous trip. So, the question is, WHERE ARE THE SOLE? Is it a bad season? Have they all been netted?
I shake my head.

Did i miss you Captin Bob or did you go elsewhere?
Maybe next time eh bud!!

Anyway am busy planning next trip and ask all you kind folks for advice..... Wherebouts can we try on the Medway or Thames estuary. Tactics etc, dont know about these areas and need to try somewhere totally different to the Kent coast. Am open to suggestions. PM/email me if you wish. Come on lads, someone must know something!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Regards to all.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
how far along the back of the power station did you go sprat cos there have been the odd sole appearing near the second bird shelter if the whiting leave it alone long enough

G

·
bad to hear you didnt get your sole mate. have you tried gravesend? no reports for it recently though. are you shore fishing the thames or medway then? read my posts on fishing the medway in the
mudway fishing thread

will93

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Bad luck mate

Have you considered that maybe there was a large predator(s) around, and maybe the Whiting were scared off into deeper water, it is also possible that as there were large numbers of white bait all the fish were switched on to fish baits instead of the old fav Lug.

Its happened to me before and it also could mean you have been over casting the tideline, I think most beaches suffer from a flat spot about middle of the tide.

But hey, thats the joy of fishing

Tight lines

Alan

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
wayne me and my boy joe picked up our bait from you know wear and headed down to denge the road is some thing else so i could not belive how meny cars were there and evryone was only interested in slinging tinsell at the sun we started to unload our gear wen another angler came over to my van and asked if i was the captin it turned out he was sqwidly sorry about the spelling aka glen the gentle giant who lives near me well he had been there since the day before and had caught rock all and as know he fishes denge a bit i new it would be better to go back down and fish dungie and that is wat we did had a wicked time no soles but some stonking whiteing my joe and glen did some mackreling and joe caught some of the smallest macks ive ever seen 4to5 inches in my bait freezer now lol the was the bigest seal ive ever seen and 2 porpoise working the beach right in front of us there was only us there and glen left at 11 30 joe kicked me out of my beach buddy and went to sleep the fighting whiteing started haveing it at high water and kept me on my toes throug out the night frew loads back set up a sole rod but alass no joy i was thiking that as soon as it got light the whiteing would be gone well shiver me timbers evry cast resulted in really good sized fighting whiteing bigger then i have seen down the ness before then as we packed up at 12 with all the rods in the van when all of a suden the shore line went silver with white bait and macks chaseing them along with garfish how do i know this well me and joe picked up more 5inch mackies along with a 4inch gar off the beach i put the gar back arfter telling joe it was a baby marlin and it would grow too 20 ft and way 3000lbs in 5 years im shaw he belived me lol we left dungie tired but happy gave loads of big fightingwhiteing to my friends got a few in the freezer and fridge along with 2bags of musells from richardsons for my tea tonight i still aint got into the dungie boys sole club yet still its a good exsuse to keep going back really glad i lisend to glen and blew denge out sorry wayne not to have met up with you down there sounds like glen was right the fishing was a bit sad glen had 3 rods out the night before and did not have a bite bait was comeing back untuched not even the crabs wanted to play still will have to do session down there when things change for the better lol bought and got frew 5score of pukka bait all in all a pukka time was had by me and joe and what a plesure to meet sqwiddly sorry about the spellings but i aint had no kip for 36 hours so the brain is a bit out of sink lol well thats my exscuse lol will have too get back down reale soon and wayne if you get a few clues to wear the sole might be give me a shout i really want a soleboy t shirt ha ha ha captin bob king of the fighteing whiteing :boxing::boxing:

·
Banned
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad luck mate

Have you considered that maybe there was a large predator(s) around, and maybe the Whiting were scared off into deeper water, it is also possible that as there were large numbers of white bait all the fish were switched on to fish baits instead of the old fav Lug.

Its happened to me before and it also could mean you have been over casting the tideline, I think most beaches suffer from a flat spot about middle of the tide.

But hey, thats the joy of fishing

Tight lines

Alan
Hi bud,
I was considering that there may have been a seal or two about but wrote it off as me making up excuses. The Whitebait should not have made any difference as the Sole are bottom feeders. As for the tide......was bait fishing for 3 1/2hrs , 1hr before 2 1/2 hrs after HW, at all ranges , and considered this as the optimum time for Denge. The Sole are just not there.
If they were then they would have been caught. Everything is topsy turvy. the Whiting should not be there in number, for a start. I keep fishing diaries going back 12/14yrs, its just not normal. The whole migratery pattern is /has changed. Mackies being caught from the shore from Whitstable, not normal, etc etc.

·
Banned
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wayne me and my boy joe picked up our bait from you know wear and headed down to denge the road is some thing else so i could not belive how meny cars were there and evryone was only interested in slinging tinsell at the sun we started to unload our gear wen another angler came over to my van and asked if i was the captin it turned out he was sqwidly sorry about the spelling aka glen the gentle giant who lives near me well he had been there since the day before and had caught rock all and as know he fishes denge a bit i new it would be better to go back down and fish dungie and that is wat we did had a wicked time no soles but some stonking whiteing my joe and glen did some mackreling and joe caught some of the smallest macks ive ever seen 4to5 inches in my bait freezer now lol the was the bigest seal ive ever seen and 2 porpoise working the beach right in front of us there was only us there and glen left at 11 30 joe kicked me out of my beach buddy and went to sleep the fighting whiteing started haveing it at high water and kept me on my toes throug out the night frew loads back set up a sole rod but alass no joy i was thiking that as soon as it got light the whiteing would be gone well shiver me timbers evry cast resulted in really good sized fighting whiteing bigger then i have seen down the ness before then as we packed up at 12 with all the rods in the van when all of a suden the shore line went silver with white bait and macks chaseing them along with garfish how do i know this well me and joe picked up more 5inch mackies along with a 4inch gar off the beach i put the gar back arfter telling joe it was a baby marlin and it would grow too 20 ft and way 3000lbs in 5 years im shaw he belived me lol we left dungie tired but happy gave loads of big fightingwhiteing to my friends got a few in the freezer and fridge along with 2bags of musells from richardsons for my tea tonight i still aint got into the dungie boys sole club yet still its a good exsuse to keep going back really glad i lisend to glen and blew denge out sorry wayne not to have met up with you down there sounds like glen was right the fishing was a bit sad glen had 3 rods out the night before and did not have a bite bait was comeing back untuched not even the crabs wanted to play still will have to do session down there when things change for the better lol bought and got frew 5score of pukka bait all in all a pukka time was had by me and joe and what a plesure to meet sqwiddly sorry about the spellings but i aint had no kip for 36 hours so the brain is a bit out of sink lol well thats my exscuse lol will have too get back down reale soon and wayne if you get a few clues to wear the sole might be give me a shout i really want a soleboy t shirt ha ha ha captin bob king of the fighteing whiteing :boxing::boxing:
Hiya captin,
No probs buddy, you made the right decision to fish Dunge. When we picked our bait up we was told that people been to Denge all day without a sniff. Should have listened . Good for you to meet up with Squiddly too. As you can see from my report, i am now looking for pastures new. On my hols soon so wont be around for a couple o weeks, still theres one thing to look forward to.............THE COD ARE COMING!!!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
bad luck wayne
the soles are sure thin on the ground never had much luck at denge in the past so will keep trying p/station or might try hythe any one know if any coming out down there caught my biggest there a few years ago

·
Banned
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bad luck wayne
the soles are sure thin on the ground never had much luck at denge in the past so will keep trying p/station or might try hythe any one know if any coming out down there caught my biggest there a few years ago

aye Aye,
got my biggest Sole at Hythe too, i was paddling in the water when i felt something soft underfoot, next thing i new, i was 'surfing' along the beach, unfortunately i fell off and it swam away. :fish:

Think Hythe is fishing same as Dunge, Mackies in the day, Whiting at night.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Boys, sorry to hear the depression and sadness of no sole but as was said , the colder weather is a few months away and the finest fish that ever swam will be amongst us. Gadus Morhua, the king of all fish, the cod, and we know that these wonderful beasts love to spend a winter break in and around our beloved Dungie.
So lets be heartened , bide your time , check your pennell rigs and store down that unused black lug.Be ready boys , cos the cod are coming..................................................:busted_co

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
well ive got every thing crossed here dave that they do i just got a load of new rigs made up and i wanna give em a go lol

·
Registered
650 Posts
Come on fellas , have trust , have hope and maybe have sole.

The Bronze MK 111's taking a ride again to the hallowed beaches of Dungie.Saturday evening to catch the high tide.And the back of the power station will be the location and sole will be the target. In the company of a few of the soleboys, they dont stand a chance...Anyone want to play..............................:busted_co

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
sole umm me thinksome man with a net is takeing the hit an miss i know a old boy who can walk on water and he aint haveing eny sole infact he has taken up kite flying says it all god bless the qween and all who sail in her captin sole less:bye2::bye2::bye2:

·
Banned
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:wave:
How strange, nobody passing much info on the Medway or Thames estuary. Is there a genuine lack of info, or are people keeping quiet?? :unsure:

Tut tut lads , come on, what comes around goes around.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
thats a first for me at denge nowt all night,nice to meet captin and son good company and thanks for the cold refreshments,even at the point the maccies did not want to play water boiling with white bait cast out with our tinsel feathers and hey presto nish did catch a few yting now all preped for smoking in the morning.the seal put on a great proformance exsploding out of the water right in front of us at one point he was less than ten feet away,will be fishing the addy all night next fri 8th so anyone want to meet up more than welcome.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Fished Grays yesterday evening, loads of small schoolies but only one sole and that was a slip of 18cm, fishing maddies i would normally expect 6 or seven at least on that kind of tide and bait but they just aren't there in any numbers at the moment! Speaking to those who know from the otherside of the river the story is the same, very hit and miss still with no consistant catches hope that helps!

G

·
:wave:
How strange, nobody passing much info on the Medway or Thames estuary. Is there a genuine lack of info, or are people keeping quiet?? :unsure:

Tut tut lads , come on, what comes around goes around.
once lucky strike gets things sorted out with his pc he'll be putting a report on here that blows away all this rubbish about the place only being any good for pout. (the medway)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts