World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i left a similar post earlier but it looks like it was deleted? not sure why because i dont see it as being un pc or anything?

basically i was asking what's the best way to dispose of a doggy for eating? i always return them but i've heard they're tough customers and breathe out of water and things

any help?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Martin

There was a 'technical' problem with the board, and a lot of threads were lost :(

I can't see any better method than a swift rap over the back of the head with a priest. For sure you will never be a hungry man if you can aquire the taste of dogfish (or catshark to give it the scientific name). I'm sticking to lamb, beef, pork and chicken personally :D

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
The best thing to is return to the sea ,taste awful.shaggy

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
We used to get latex injected doggies in uni to dissect. They were full of worms, i couldn't eat one if I was starving, put em back.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
There's many a Fish'n' Chip Shop around the country that has Doggy on the Menu, usually called, rather euphemistically, 'Rock Salmon'. There was a post about this not so long ago, I seem to remember, somewhere in the South West I think, c'mon speak up! I've never knowingly eaten it I must say although there have been many times when befuddlement caused by something has clouded the memory and/or the taste buds. Frankly most Fish and Chip shops wouldn't give a 'poor' fish frying room so there must be many who love the taste. These days I don't tend to eat my catches but perhaps I'll try it next time I catch a decent one. A brisk tap on the head is usually sufficient to stun/kill the fish, followed (by me) with a pass or two with the filleting knife. This allows a certain amount of extra groundbait to be added to the swim and makes disposal out of the immediate food chain back at home not a problem. I've eaten the other cartilagenous fish, the Skate, many a time in Lowestoft Fish and Chip shops but never the Doggy. Come to think of it I've never caught one there either!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The french love em,

I always keep six (that all I can manage to skin) my wife likes them with cream and boiled potatoes (She's french) not bad but not enough meat on them for my liking.

Does anyone know of a good way to get the skin off them ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The way my dad told me to do it! Whack a nail through the head into a post, slit them around the base of the head and then use a pair of pliers to skin them like a wabbit. I tried to skin one once, but found it was more trouble than it was worth. Lost half the skin on my fingers and it really didn't taste that great. Now I put 'em back!

Some reckon if you put them in boiling water for a minute, the skin peels off easily. I must ask a fishmonger how they skin them one day.

There was a discussion about doggy eating on http://www.reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40636

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
idpearl said:
The way my dad told me to do it! Whack a nail through the head into a post, slit them around the base of the head and then use a pair of pliers to skin them like a wabbit. I tried to skin one once, but found it was more trouble than it was worth. Lost half the skin on my fingers and it really didn't taste that great. Now I put 'em back!

Some reckon if you put them in boiling water for a minute, the skin peels off easily. I must ask a fishmonger how they skin them one day.

There was a discussion about doggy eating on http://www.reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40636
i was told to slice from the tail fins near the vent straight up to the head removing all of the belly flesh and the guts, then cut into stakes, then to remove the skin place it into boilng water for about 45 seconds, the skin basically falls off (apparently),
i've got a couple in the freezer in stakes i'm gonna try, apparently they make a good curry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your freezing these to eat, they only last for a week or so in the freezer.

After skinning, and cleaning, ideal way is to leave the fish in the fridge for 24hours before cooking, as this tenderises the meat. (I'll not explain why as its a bit disgusting), but again the meat is only good in the fridge for two/ three days max.
After that it starts to smell, and will taste of ammonia.

Very good if filleted, and battered. then deep fried. Only reason I don't eat the doggies I catch is cos skinning them is so much fun. I've still got scars from the last time i did it.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Dogfish is commercially fished for off the New England coast - to such a degree that environmentalists are now beginning to be concerned about it becoming extinct because of its slow reproductive cycle and over fishing. There's a number of articles about this available on the Internet. Dogfish is marketed in the States as "Cape Shark" to make it sound more appetizing. As regards the "Rock Salmon" you buy in the chippie - it tastes fine. It's available in most fish & chip shops in London - it's a touch rubbery but OK apart from that. Funny how times change - I've read that 40 years ago Monkfish was sold in the fish & chip shops as "Rock Salmon" - now it appears on the menu at expensive restaurants.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you also know, on that subject, that the Anglerfish is sold as Monkfish in the supermarkets. Monkfish or Angel Shark, Squatina squatina is a different species altogether from Anglerfish, Lophius piscatorius.

Monkfish

Anglerfish

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Thanks for the info, but is the lower picture the one of the Angler or just another WSF colleague? Reminds me very much of someone I saw fishing the other day in one of these new fangled Camo. suits!

·
Registered
409 Posts
yea i rememba reading somewer that dogfish were served in a fish shop in london as "rock salmon" i have never tried one myself but next time i catch a decent size one i think i will.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yup, boiling water is the easy way. When the fish is cut into sections, just pour boiling water on them one at a time, and the skin just melts off like magic. Then straight into the pan. Season with plenty of black pepper, OK, but still am aquired taste.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It couln't have been very good if you could see him Swelley.

Fred

V

·
0 Posts
tried it as dog fish,tried it as rock salmon(altho in certain areas in brighton it's known as **** salmon,personally i'd avoid this recipe altogether!)shite taste,best put back for those day's when f**k all else is hungry,beside's they's kinda cute!

"AND NOW AS I LIE HERE,MY BODY ALL HOLES
I THINK OF ALL THOSE TRAITORS WHO BARGAINED AND SOLD
AND I WISH THAT MY RIFLE HAD GIVEN THE SAME
TO THOSE QUISLINGS WHO SOLD OUT THE PATRIOT GAME"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts