World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title I am trying to learn the Pendulum. So far this was probably my best cast but still not further than my otg.

Everything just feels a bit tight and narrow and I feel like I need a broader swing with more pull coming from my left arm and less force from my right. It all just still feels a bit alien.

Any feedback positive or negative welcome 馃憤

Registered
Your drop is far far too short, drop it to your top hand, then move it slightly to suit.

Push out with your top hand and generate the inswing with a firm push from your bottom hand. Try not to pull the lead back towards you with the top hand.

Best advice is to book a lesson before going much further. .

Registered
I agree with Chukka.

It is much easier to advise in person rather than via the keyboard but there are adjustments that you need to make as you are only compressing the very top of the rod. In any style of power casting, you need to make the rod do the work so changes to you technique are needed as casting is 80% technique and 20% effort but you need the technique in order to make the carbon fully compress and then distance will follow.

Phil

Registered
Yes, lessons are great, but you already know that.

I鈥檓 seeing from the rod curvature that you鈥檙e not giving the cast a good, fast punch-pull at the end. Used to have this problem myself... rod releasing energy too early because I started with full power and had no more to put in at the end.

Start the cast slowly and as soon as your left hand passes between your eyes and the target, (smoothly) put in more power with the punch-pull.

Registered
Just to add to my comments....

I bet when you start swinging the rod you quickly get the sensation that you're trying to move a ton of bricks on the end of your line and you're thinking, "For Holy Jesus sake of Christ, I need to get this motherf******g thing away from me!" and so you try to finish the cast as soon as possible, doing what we call "cutting the arc" where you suddenly swing the rod over the top instead of smoothly maneuvering the rod around and then upward. Again, it goes back to putting too much power in too early - especially with a stiff-butted fast action rod like that. As "flea-rider" says, relax. Take some deep breaths. And start slooooowwwww. You'll be surprised how slow you can go and still keep the lead off the ground.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Just to add to my comments....

I bet when you start swinging the rod you quickly get the sensation that you're trying to move a ton of bricks on the end of your line and you're thinking, "For Holy Jesus sake of Christ, I need to get this motherf******g thing away from me!" and so you try to finish the cast as soon as possible, doing what we call "cutting the arc" where you suddenly swing the rod over the top instead of smoothly maneuvering the rod around and then upward. Again, it goes back to putting too much power in too early - especially with a stiff-butted fast action rod like that. As "flea-rider" says, relax. Take some deep breaths. And start slooooowwwww. You'll be surprised how slow you can go and still keep the lead off the ground.
I appreciate all the feedback!

You have hit the nail on the head for how im feeling when casting really, in my head im trying to go through the processes, slow, arms away from the body, move the lead round in slow arc with my right arm then power through with the left pulling down once the target is in site, but as you can see it doesnt play out like that. i do have that subconscious fear in my head that the lead is just going hit the deck, which has resulted in the shorter drop.

I have messaged a well known local angler in my area who has agreed to meet up with me to give me some tips (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts