World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in members opinions is the best equipment for distance casting ?
are there any particular modifications that can be made to reels to give extra distance?
Are there any contests in the South of Wales or in the near area where I could pick up tips on casting styles etc ?

Any information greatly appreciated ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow what a subject. People had written books and made videos about it.
For ultimate distance you need a multiplier, usually magenetic controlled and probably an Abu with the level line and top bar removed. The reel will have a large magnetic control knob so that you can wind-off the magnets during the flight of the cast for that extra yard or two. Shockleader will be 80lbs but it does depend upon what weight class you want to compete in. I haven't done this for a year or two so you will have to find out. I think all lines have to be coloured yellow and the diameter is 0.32mm for the running line but I could be wrong here, rules do change. At some competitions the do measure the line!
Rods are a science in themselves but it is no good getting a rod that is too powerful, you will not be able to bend it and thereby be unable to store the energy in it. If it too soft you will be unable to lock it and therefore it will just keep bending and you will be unable to "punch" it at the end of the cast. Your best bet is to try your friends rods if you can otherwise you will have to lay out a couple of hundred pounds and suck and see "expensive". Rod length depends upon whether you cast with the reel up or down, you can use a longer rod with the reel down and some claim the cast is slower and smoother but I prefer the reel up. I fish this way, it keeps the reel out of the sand.
I was going to recommend "Sea Angler" but in the August issue there are no casting competitions. South Wales often has them at Margam Park. There are some very good Welsh casters and if you get to talk to them they will offer good advice but they do keep there little secrets to themselves, such as oils, number of magnets and so on.
In order for your thumb to stand the force of the cast you need a bit of inner tube over it or tape a strip to the rod butt. You will have to see how this is done.
You will need to learn the "Pendulum" technique which is easy when you know how but can be hard getting there. Sea Angler used to have a list of casting instructors find the one for your area.

Have fun with burnt thumbs and birds nests!! Buy a large bulk spool of cheap line you may need it and find a large field.

Martin

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of rods and reels are there that suit this purpose, I'm well aware these will be opinions but at the moment I'm in the gathering information phase before I decide wether or not to make a purchase.

I'd like to have some knowledge before I go see a dealer and get talked into parting with my cash for something more suited to his profits than my fishing.

so any info greatly appreciated. Cheers guys

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Bio

There is a comp in Cowbridge on 31st of July run by Surfcast Wales. Also, if you go to http://www.johnholden.co.uk there are some pictures and explanations of the various casting styles. They are basic styles but they will put yards on your current distances. Best to get a style that you are comfortable with before you start tweaking reels etc.

Hope this helps.

Rob

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
try to get John Holdens video Long Distance casting , it is pretty basic but it does show you step by step all the various casting techniques and John explains how to go for distance.
I got the book and the video, the book goes more in depth,but with the vid you can actually see whats happening. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
A couple of months back i went to watch a qualifying round for the Welsh Surfcasters held at Crack Hill near Cowbridge. I was absolutely amazed at some of the distances these chaps achieve, the first marker starts at 200m and graduates up and beyond the 270m mark!!!
After taking a walk around and chatting to some of the casters it was obvious that there were not many "off the shelf" reels being used, in fact the vast majority of the reels were customized Abu ultra mags of varying vintages and models, but i did see a couple of "out of the box" Abu 6500ct c3 mags but i couldn't see if they'd been tinkered with.
On the subject of rods, by far the most prominent on display were the Zziplex, again several diffrent models. I did see one caster using a Ron Thompson Axellerator 13'6" and one chap was using one of the latest Fox sea rods.
I found out about this event on the internet and as it turned out was only a couple of miles away from my house, i telephoned a chap called Gareth Davies who was one of the organizers/competitors who was kind enough to give me directions to the event. On arrival my daughter and i were made more than welcome and subsequently we spent several hours viewing proceedings.
From personal experience i've purchased several casting videos over the years including Neil Mackellows, John Holdens, and Alan Yates (and may i say they are all excellent) but to go and watch a skilled practitioner of the pendulum cast"in the flesh" is something else. I would certainly recommend a visit to one of these events (next one 31/07/05 Crack Hill Cowbridge) free admission, someone there would give you advice on a local casting instructor.
Hope this has been of some interest.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Contact 'Ryan' on the site. Seems he's clued in as he is a casting coach recommended by Sea Angler. All his posts just drip with real knowledge of the subject. If he operated nearer to North Wales I'd have a lesson!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Do you want to cast - or fish, most of our fish are caught within 100 yards of the shore and any beachcaster/reel combo should get you near that sort of distance.
To quote someone far more experienced than me 'if you want to fish 200 yards out get a boat'

·
Registered
465 Posts
Swelleyman your making me blush :p

Distance Casting!!!!!!!! i would never try to start to say what would be most suitable whithout first knowing what style and how far the person can cast already.

Lots of people think there are short cuts to distance, if only that were true!!! unless your already casting around 200yds + dont even think about reel mods, fast oils ect, same goes for rods, most will outcast the person behind them.

All the best Guys and thanks for the kind words Swelleyman.

Ryan. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
your average off the shelf gear should get you to around the 150 yd mark. the rod does not need to feel like a telegraph pole and the reel does not need to be super quick.

the key is to have a good sound style of casting whether it be pendulum or off the ground, and the cast should be able to be performed with ease and smoothly.

if you can make it then come along the comp in wales this coming sunday. i shall be there myself and they are a great bunch of lads there.

if you are interested in learning to cast then these are the places to go.

the majority of people who attend are fishermen not just out and out casters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts