World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the family for a walk along Southwold beach near the harbour tonight and the sight which greeted us wasnt a good one, all along the high tide mark were washed up dead fish (doggies, smoothounds, sole, small codling and small schoolie bass) some had heads cut off which made me wonder if these fish were an unwanted catch by a ******* gill netter. :schmoll: :schmoll: :schmoll:

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Not a good sight.:blink: :schmoll: :yucky:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ron,

saying that the gulls will soon clear them up is the wrong attitude, gill netters do a lot of damage to the undersize stocks of fish and just dumping them into the sea to be washed up on a beach to decay and smell is as bad as fly tipping.

A

·
0 Posts
Ron,

saying that the gulls will soon clear them up is the wrong attitude, gill netters do a lot of damage to the undersize stocks of fish and just dumping them into the sea to be washed up on a beach to decay and smell is as bad as fly tipping.
I can hardly see the comparison between tipping a Transit load of rubble in a gateway/ roadside verge, and a load of fish being cleaned away by the gull's, crab's tides from a beach,

Ubd

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can hardly see the comparison between tipping a Transit load of rubble in a gateway/ roadside verge, and a load of fish being cleaned away by the gull's, crab's tides from a beach,

Ubd
It was just a figure of speech Urlybird if you had of seen and smelt all the dead fish laying there you would know what i meant, southwold is a popular beach for families and they wouldn't want to spend time sitting amongst dead fish. besides they had been pushed high up the beach by a good high tide and the gulls weren't touching them. :schmoll: :uhuh: :schmoll:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
So what do you guy,s do with undersize fish?just toss them up the beach for gull food I suppose,then claim thats O.K.
Great conservation method.Ican see this will realy preserve fish stocks.This is'nt a realy good attitude to take,because any tourist that see's this kind of waste on the beach is going to blame the guy on the beach not the boat, 500yrds out with his gill nets,because "you never see him catch and land small fish,because the holes in his nets are too big"!!!
Onyour head's be it!!!!
Spratty:rtfm: :wallbash: :wallbash: :nonono:
Something realy needs to be done about this cavalier aproach to fishwaste,thinking there is an endless supply.Thats what happend to the herring until there shoal's were nearly fished to extinction!Only a complete ban on fishing for them brought them back to what are now reasonable stocks.
So lets just carryon how we are and see which species we can say we used to catch once upon a time
Rant Over
Spratty:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Mmmm, not convinced that they're were unwanted catch from a commercial boat. After all why would they bother to cut the heads off before dumping them, come to think of it why would anybody?

Regardless of who did it, or why, things like this simply shouldn't happen and the flak will almost certainly fall on anglers, especially with it on a popular tourist beach.

Ron, surprised at your comments. The world knows you keep fish, which of course you have every right to do, but surely you can see the problem with stuff like this. It affects conservation, those using the beach in general and anglers, whether they fish from the beach or a boat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts