World Sea Fishing Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Hi I tried it on some salt encrusted and corroded rope guides on my boat. Made no difference. I think it might work if the items were soaked in it. I wire brushed all the parts to get them as clean as possible. Then put waxoyl on them. Not pretty but better than anything else I have tried to stop corrosian.
As an example of how good that stuff is. I do a bit of cycling. And keep a bike for summer and one for the nast salty winter roads. All the hubs/cranks and gears are treated with waxoyl on the winter one. I put a new back wheel on the winter bike and forgot to treat the anodised alloy hub. It is now useless and has turned into a greyish powder. Parts of it have just dissolved. The waxed parts are still all in good condition.
My engine is lathered in it too and the trailer. All the bolts and stuff below the waterline. I spray it clean with the hose when I get back home. The salt comes off, but the wax coating stays put.
Dave.
we use the wax to cover machines at work once they have been washed off and they will sit outside for a year or more till we next use them . i had an older outboard with some one had tried to repaint around the gearbox so i rubbed it all down to the bear metal and then waxed it. i then used it nfor a whole year before i got rounf to painting it and it was as good as new . i recommend it to anyone

· Registered
2 Posts
Just a thought on servicing boats for the winter, and relating to the stolen boats threads, If your boat is trailer mounted remove the wheels and store them securely elsewhere, leave the trailer on a pair of H*****ds axle stands, preferably at a lower height than it would be with the wheels on. Just make it awkward for the b*****ds. If you are into metal fabrication it is easy to make up a set of "winter wheels" stands that bolt onto the hub, weld on a cap or u shaped piece to prevent access to the hub cap and stub axle nut beneath.

· Registered
155 Posts
hi guys i have the above outboard,which i bought with boat in feb this year.After getting it in the water last friday,to my annoyance it runs fine on idle,but on engaging forward or reverse gear it eventually dies,unless i up the revs which is a bit annoying on mooring the boat.Hope some of you fine boaters may be able to help me.Im pretty new to this,so bear with me ,if i seem a bit thick.Cheers.

· Registered
7 Posts
can anyone help me identify the year roughly this outboard is i have had this a couple of seasons now, it is 3 cyl 2stroke i cant fault it it has not let me down. i wanted to change plugs which i have identified and got. the serial plate is really worn and cannot make anything out. i believe it is early 90's possibly bigfoot? i wanted to change gear oil should the engine be raised to have vent at the top, i will try and attach a pic to show screws.The only good pic of the screws has an error so cant upload it typical.Any help with this would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

· Registered
11,949 Posts
View attachment 268843 View attachment 268844 View attachment 268845 can anyone help me identify the year roughly this outboard is i have had this a couple of seasons now, it is 3 cyl 2stroke i cant fault it it has not let me down. i wanted to change plugs which i have identified and got. the serial plate is really worn and cannot make anything out. i believe it is early 90's possibly bigfoot? i wanted to change gear oil should the engine be raised to have vent at the top, i will try and attach a pic to show screws.The only good pic of the screws has an error so cant upload it typical.Any help with this would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance
That livery was used from 1994 - 2000. Change gearbox oil with the engine vertical. Remove both screws to let the old oil drain. Check condition of the oil - if it's milky you have a seal that needs attention. But assuming all is OK, once drained, you fill it by pumping oil in from the bottom hole (engine still vertical) until it comes out of the top hole - this is how you know it's reached the correct level. Replace top screw, then replace the bottom screw as quickly as you can without losing any oil!

This really should be an annual job from now on.

· Registered
172 Posts
If anyone has any requirements that involve hoses (engine / gearbox / hydraulics) I can help.
I can overhaul hydraulic rams / cylinders too.
I am used by lots of local marine dealers because of my knowledge and value for money.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.