World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys maybe a redundant tip but i couldn't help myself in starting to type.
In flyfishing it's quiet common to give the hook a bit of extra weight, so that same technique gives some great opportunities to make your own weighted Texas style hooks. Just buy the unweighted version of the hook and buy yourself some leadwire which comes in different weights. Wind the lead on the hookshank in a manner that needs no further explaning it's quite simple as the wire is very soft. Give it a layer of transparant nailspolish or in a color if you like. Now you are able to make them in different weights as well, or even changing the weight during fishing. Just peel off a couple of windings and snap it off, the rest of the windings will stick unharmed cause they are embedded in the polish like glue...

Happy bassing...

Reactions: Fishery Pokery

·
Registered
829 Posts
good tip..thank you.

Kryston 'heavy metal' tungsten putty is also useful for molding around the hook shank and can be removed and re-used.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're welcome i know the tungsten i used it a lot for carp popups. But i don't know if it will hold when it's pulled through snags over and over again, worth trying though!

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
If you want to keep the hook pimt exposed but still have the lure weedless, just half hitch a tiny elastic band (the ones used by dentists are the best) onto the kink in the hook and loop the other end under the barb.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to keep the hook pimt exposed but still have the lure weedless, just half hitch a tiny elastic band (the ones used by dentists are the best) onto the kink in the hook and loop the other end under the barb.
Yep that works :thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts