World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know if any one can shed any light on this:

After I go out boat fishing I go really dizzy for about 2 days afterwards, im fine on the boat but as soon as I hit dry land im all over the show - it feels like im still in 2 foot of swell.:boat:

Does anyone else suffer from this or know what causes it? Any replies greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
After I've been on a boat and the sea is a bit lumpy once I'm back on dry land I'm still swaying with the roll of the boat. It stops pretty quickly though, can't say I've ever felt dizzy though or had it last so long....

G

·
I still get the same after 40 years of boat fishing, especially if it is a bit lumpy. As Bigads says though it does not last 2 days, a few hours at most. Perhaps you have a more sensitive inner ear, which affects yor balance. Try a couple of beers when you get in next time and see if it counteracts the effect:unsure::uhuh:

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's all to do with the middle ear cavity (According to my GP mate). The fluid sort of "swirls around" when you are on the boat. This motion carries on for a time afterwards. Then your brain takes over and carries on the process. Bit like the stunt as a kid when you are spun around by your friends. Then close your eyes. Resulting in falling over.

Should go by the following day. If not, get your ears checked. Might be full of "Crud" and need clearing out.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
The effect is known as land sickness! Opposite of sea sickness! Well known to yachties who after a weeks trip can't stand up straight on land! Something to do with the inner ear I believe! Try a Google search on "Land Sickness" - masses of info! Or go to :-

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/central/mdd.html

In some cases it can last for years! It can be a symptom of other things abnd may need treatment - according to Google! Many people feel it after a cruise

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
The first time I went out on a boat (with Cascars), I was fine. The water was calm and I never felt ill. When I returned home and started to chill out I was ok. It was when I went to get off the sofa....I felt as drunk as a skunk! My legs were all over the show. I felt fine though by the next morning. Like people have said may be an inner ear thing may be an idea to see the doc?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Both me and my mrs are dizzy until the next day after being on the boat.
Seems pretty common, so i'm not concerned anymre :)

AL ..

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
im gunna be dreding going on a boat its my first time so i duno how im going to be like Lmao!!
After going out on a boat now a couple of times (The latest being yesterday in my brother in laws 9ft wooden boat, he was almost puking but i was fine, bit of a lumpy sea yesterday??!), and i think the main thing to have is self confidence. If you think you will be ill it might happen. But if you keep your head up focus on a horizon and try to keep busy (although dont concentrate on little things and looking at things short range) you will bo ok. Dont forget to eat something before hand. Preferably raw fish so when you do puke the groundbaiting will be very effective....ONLY JOKING!:)

Youll be ok.:)

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I get a bit dizzy and light headed once on land after a day on the briney. It's quite a nice feeling actually! It's that inner ear thing combined with all that Ozone!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've experienced it before. I think the key to curing it is to experience the boat coming to a halt i.e. the boat 'dramatically' slowly down as you come in the harbour etc. Otherwise your body never seems to realise your no longer on water.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Weird. Ive heard of people who make a living at sea having no problems at sea. But when they get on a small boat feel rank. Motion of the ocean or just unfamiliar surroundings?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I feel fine when i get off of the boat, load up, then drive home 100 miles, it's when i get in the house the sways come on, stopped concentrating on other things by that time i guess.

Just a side note, i have found that when the boats rocking, if i ever try to brace my stomach so to speak, it really starts to make me begin to feel sea sick and stops when i relax.

I also feel ok if i eat regularly on the boat, just small things, a biscuit here n' there or one sarnie, i drink lots of coffee as well, in small amounts (which isn't normally recommended) - never been sea sick "YET"

AL ..

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Weird. Ive heard of people who make a living at sea having no problems at sea. But when they get on a small boat feel rank. Motion of the ocean or just unfamiliar surroundings?
I get it from time to time soon passes though the strange thing for me is when I get in my van I drive it by the sound of the engine and it feels wrong if i go over 2,500 rpm like a rolling traffick jam:)

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
I feel fine when i get off of the boat, load up, then drive home 100 miles, it's when i get in the house the sways come on, stopped concentrating on other things by that time i guess.

Just a side note, i have found that when the boats rocking, if i ever try to brace my stomach so to speak, it really starts to make me begin to feel sea sick and stops when i relax.

I also feel ok if i eat regularly on the boat, just small things, a biscuit here n' there or one sarnie, i drink lots of coffee as well, in small amounts (which isn't normally recommended) - never been sea sick "YET"

AL ..

That may be a tip. When i was out on my first boat trip and this one i near enough constantly nibbled on very lightly salted doritos. Weird i know but i enjoyed it and it kept me from feeling queasy.:g:
Oh and a bottle of water to sip on now and then.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have had boats since I was 19.
Now 46 I still get the swaying once ashore, although it only seems to happen once I've hit base IE driven home.
The worst places are the confined spaces, shower cubicle or loo.
We always go to the pub, and people laugh at us "still swaying" while up the bar.
Don't know if it is something that will ever go away, anyone reading who is a skipper or lucky enough to be at sea several days each week who can comment?
As I said, still happens to me 27 years on, expect it, don't worry about it.
Gary

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers for all your help, I was on the boat friday and now it is 00:41 on a tuesday and I am right as rain.
I might try getting my ears looked at to see if they need syringing.
again, thanks for the help, im glad it is not just me!!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I've found the best remedy (from Weymouth at least), is as soon as the boat docks, get your gear (and hopefully fish) in the car. Go in the Sailors and throw five pints of cider down your neck (assuming someone else is driving). The booze works against the vertigo and you can walk as straight as a die. Well that's what I tell meself anyway

1 - 20 of 23 Posts