World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one. i'm new to the site,been plugging for about 3 years and just wondering!!! Do the bigger bass hang around the smaller fish ? Some of the marks i fish you tend to get fish around 2lband nothing bigger. Other marks 4-5lb fish but no smaller ones?

·
Registered
599 Posts
They can sometimes. Last year in one session I had about 20 fish, all under 3lb, then bang, a 7lber!

But marks round us definitely follow the pattern you describe. The bigger fish tend to be loners - maybe they don't need the safety of being close to their breathren?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Hi Carlo

Welcome to the site, I've found that often fish of the same year class stick together, though their weight can vary by quite a large amount but be roughly the same length.

But one group of bass that's feeding can attract the attention of a smaller group of larger fish or even a pair of very large bass and that's when, if you can get passed the smaller faster bass you can get into a fish to remember.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The smaller fish tend to be quicker, so get to the food first - the larger fish know they cannot compete and tend to avoid the smaller fish as they know there will not be an easy supply of food around them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh now what you mean two weeks ago thats what i had happen, loads of small fish and one nice one .but its only happened the once,just have to keep trying for that fish of a life time.that'll keep the missus happy going more than three times a week:wallbash:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The smaller fish tend to be quicker, so get to the food first - the larger fish know they cannot compete and tend to avoid the smaller fish as they know there will not be an easy supply of food around them.
is it worth moving do you think or fishing through the smaller ones

·
Registered
302 Posts
In my experience there's three size ranges that i tend to catch together,1-4lb,4-7lb&8lb+.But sometimes they're all together but not very often.I think the bigger fish muscle the smaller ones out of the way when there's a good food source.Had quiet a few sessions where i'm catching checkers only for some bigger fish to appear&i've suddenly stopped catching the checkers for some bigguns.

·
Registered
466 Posts
At a mark I have been fishing recently on two occasions I have witnessed bigger fish in the 3 - 4lb bracket "hanging out" with fish in the 0.5 lb to 1 lb bracket. One time 5 fish followed my lure 4 small lead by one big and the other time I saw 3 micro bass being acompanied by one 4 lb bass. I call them parent fish. Interesting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Carlo

Welcome to the site, I've found that often fish of the same year class stick together, though their weight can vary by quite a large amount but be roughly the same length.

But one group of bass that's feeding can attract the attention of a smaller group of larger fish or even a pair of very large bass and that's when, if you can get passed the smaller faster bass you can get into a fish to remember.
Nice reply Joe, totaly agree with you there.
The larger fish definitely hang around in smaller groups, I've watched them underneath the marina in Brixham harbour where my mate keeps his boat. The smaller 1-3lb fish shoaling up and if you watch long enough you can see the bigger fish swimming below them in smaller groups of three and four fish

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.