World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
take a trip down to llanelli beach there are thousends of them on the incoming tide im glad to see that at last the minister is taking fish conservation seriously we must some how protect these fish for the future like i said before nye bevan labour stated britain is built on coal and surrounded with fish it will to take a genius to create a shortage

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Are they school bass or mullet? the Neath River is similar, with shoals of fish on the incoming tide, but these are mullet.
I used to catch loads of mullet in the old North Dock using a floating fly line & a white nymph, which I think they mistake for a maggot.
If they are bass its good news for the future, but makes us look like arses because we have been saying that they are being overfished! so if they are, shhhhhhhhh!
blueskip

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theyre bass allright caught loads the other night all around four to six inches could they be last years babys by the way all were returned the fisheries people must know they there carnt they keep a special eye on them

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
So they were Bass then! There have ben huge shoals of Hering seen off Penmon point about a month ago and some off Gallows Point, so I thought, given the period of grace given to that species (a moratorium?) that this was the result!

Reading a book about the old fish traps (to feed the monasteries) in The Menai Straits 400years ago and the TONS of Herring they were catching there! Only ones I've seen in the Swellies were the ones I used for bait!

Let's hope the Bass shoal stays intact and manges to avoid the Gill netters.

Well I can dream can't I?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts