World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught in Anstruther last night, no picture sorry.

Very similar to codling but a bronze colour on top and white underneath. Weighed just under 2lb and had the same lateral line and thing under it's chin, although it wasn't just as firm.

Is was in the freezer before I even thought about a snap. I thought it was a pollock.

I know this is a bit vague but any help appreciated.

Thanks chaps.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
possibly a pouting , why did you take a small fish home , especially when you didnt know what it was ?

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
possibly a pouting , why did you take a small fish home , especially when you didnt know what it was ?
Ive caught whiting that for a brief moment ive thought were codling,if it was just under 2lb then i would think it was legal whatever species it was????

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
may well be legal , but why take home a fish when you dont know what it is , it may well be not very good eating , would have been better to take a quick photo and put it back .

im all for taking fish for the table and using as bait etc , but if i caught a fish that i didnt know what it was , i wouldnt take it for the table etc .

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Hi mate - sounds very much like a pollack you have caught there..

Lower jaw bigger than the top and a bend in the lateral line near the fin..

A near 2lb fish is perfect for the table,, i know you were not sure what it was but your instinct probably told you it was a good eating fish.

Big al - I have met stew,, he is a beginner and a top bloke and not the sort to go hauling out species of all kinds and taking them home.
I think you can forgive him on this occasion this time surely..

After a few catches we get the idea of what's good for the table and what's not. I know where you are coming from on this, but the guy is a beginner not a hoodlum.
I hope his excitement on catching a good fish and putting up a report has not been ruined by a rather harsh reply..

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hi mate - sounds very much like a pollack you have caught there..

Lower jaw bigger than the top and a bend in the lateral line near the fin..

A near 2lb fish is perfect for the table,, i know you were not sure what it was but your instinct probably told you it was a good eating fish.

Big al - I have met stew,, he is a beginner and a top bloke and not the sort to go hauling out species of all kinds and taking them home.
I think you can forgive him on this occasion this time surely..

After a few catches we get the idea of what's good for the table and what's not. I know where you are coming from on this, but the guy is a beginner not a hoodlum.
I hope his excitement on catching a good fish and putting up a report has not been ruined by a rather harsh reply..
no problem mate , but i dont think that it was a pollack as he sait that it had a wee beard , thats why i was thinking ( pouting ) which is not so good eating .

i understand that we all have to learn somewhere and where better than here , im certainly not having a go at him , im only trying to steer him in the right direction for the future .

·
Registered
43 Posts
obviously a white fish of the cod family and of good eating, and perfect table size, sounds like a pollock, whiting, or maybe a coley, what ever mate enjoy your meal.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Sure it just wasn't just a dark coloured codling?A huge amount of colour variations in the summer,and if it looked like a codling,weighed like a coldling,then I'd say,(especially from Anster),it was more than likely a codling.

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
2,909 Posts
Sure it just wasn't just a dark coloured codling?A huge amount of colour variations in the summer,and if it looked like a codling,weighed like a coldling,then I'd say,(especially from Anster),it was more than likely a codling.
My thought too possibly just a red cod!!

Once you`ve eaten it you`ll know if it tastes like a cod

Paul

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
no problem mate , but i dont think that it was a pollack as he sait that it had a wee beard , thats why i was thinking ( pouting ) which is not so good eating .

i understand that we all have to learn somewhere and where better than here , im certainly not having a go at him , im only trying to steer him in the right direction for the future .
Nae bother Al - Thinking now it may well be a red codling as well,, never gave it a thought..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't think it was small at just under 2lbs. Having swallowed the hook and yanked onto the harbour wall I thought it best to whack it and eat it during the week. The wife's having the codling I caught last night too. It's the same size. I threw back as wrasse as I didn't fancy it and it was hooked in the side of it's mouth so it'll be fine.

Asda sell smaller fish so I base what I keep on this.

Perhaps in time I'll just keep the double figure fish, although I don't see anyone catching them when I'm out. I doubt this is my fault!

Anyway I've checked my fishing book and it sounds more like a haddock although the illustration is in black and white. I just don't know.

Right, I'm off to stock up on hallandaise sauce.

·
Registered
164 Posts
am with bob sounds like a red cod

rough sizes for some species

shore sizes

Bass 45cm

Bream 24cm

Brill 35cm

Coalfish (Saith) 35cm

Cod 35cm

Dab 20cm

Flounder 25cm

Garfish 38cm

Tub Gunard 28cm

Haddock 30cm

Hake 30cm

John Dory 25cm

Ling 72cm

Megrim 25cm

Mullet 33cm

Plaice 28cm

Pollack 30cm

Pouting 18cm

Poor Cod 18cm

Sole 25cm

Scad 25cm

Trigger Fish 30cm

Turbot 35cm

Whiting 27cm

Witch 28cm

Ballan Wrase 23cm

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
am with bob sounds like a red cod

rough sizes for some species

shore sizes

Bass 45cm

Bream 24cm

Brill 35cm

Coalfish (Saith) 35cm

Cod 35cm

Dab 20cm

Flounder 25cm

Garfish 38cm

Tub Gunard 28cm

Haddock 30cm

Hake 30cm

John Dory 25cm

Ling 72cm

Megrim 25cm

Mullet 33cm

Plaice 28cm

Pollack 30cm

Pouting 18cm

Poor Cod 18cm

Sole 25cm

Scad 25cm

Trigger Fish 30cm

Turbot 35cm

Whiting 27cm

Witch 28cm

Ballan Wrase 23cm
Bass=37.5cm down here,probably 36cm up your way.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Regardless of what it was,if it was a couple of pounds then it was fair game for scoffing I'd say.In the summer for codling,in this area anyway,going over 3lbs is a good fish,and 2lbs is certainly a decent size.

(and I'd 99% discount haddock or whiting)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I'd have to defrost it to take the cling film off , maybe sew it's head and tail back on!

How about I start a thread on how good it was with new tatties and asparagus on Thursday as it's Wednedsay nights tea. Oh yeah with a cold glass of chablis!

Of course for anyone who said it's too small don't worry I'll take some really small spuds from the garden so I don't lose it on my plate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.