World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

It took me back many years...
One day after cycling home from school with older brother Mike, my Dad surprised us both with a genuine solid fibre-glass rod each. Back in the early seventies these were a cut above bamboo! and state of the art. Complete with fixed spool reels loaded with amazing looking rainbow line. Dad had done his homework...never having fished in his life. This must have stemmed from my friendship with an elderly chap, a keen angler who used to whittle his own floats from wood. I would often bump into him when exploring around the huge lake at the back of the woods where we lived. He would be sitting there quietly with his rod, sipping from a brown bottle that he called neck oil! He taught me how to cast without tangling branches, and make floats from wood and quills.
When I rushed over to see him the next day to show him my new first ever rod, he gave me a present of aa little fold out stool, and a collection of his self made floats...lovely chap.
Next weekend, Dad took me and my brother Mike to the Kennet canal, close to the mouth of the Thames. I tackled the rods up, tying the knots the old fellow had taught me, baited up from a pint of maggots and we cast out. Two little yellow floats bobbing along.
Dad satisfied, disappeared to buy a newspaper, and no sooner had he gone then my float plummeted.
Gentle strike, and hook set, I reeled him in. FIRST FISH. cannot forget that feeling of the vibrations through the rod, and the bend. Sheer exhilaration as I brought him to the surface, and up. No idea what the fish was...bleak, or dace is my guess looking back. Problem now was how to unhook, Still no sign of Dad. Panicking now... I just could not unhook it, Mike said "I know...the discorger" he rumaged in the duffel bag, then he handed me an object resembling my Mum's crochet hook! Still no idea, so I lowered the fish back in the water, luckily Pops appeared to take control, and the fish was safely returned. phew!
Minutes later I was rewarded with a second, and third fish.
What a day!!! I was the champ on my first ever fishing outing. The stuff of dreams for a kid.
Mum even gave us pichards on toast for tea as celebration!
Never ever forget that sun-kissed afternoon of my childhood.
So my fellow fisherfolk...what was your first ever fish? Would love to hear your stories.
Cheers
TR.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I was about 7 years old and walked accross the field at the back of ours to fish the mill stream with the rod and reel my dad got me from cigarette coupons, a liitie 6ft fibreglass outfit.
The stream was all of 3ft wide and 14 inches deep.
I deccided to drop my garden worm baited hook just next to some weed and within minutes had a good bite and dragged in an eel less than a foot long. I was so excited i ran home with it dangling on the line.
Brilliant day. I was hooked.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have only been fishing for just over a year so it's not hard to remember. But I was using a cheap telescopic rod no shock leader (I didn't know about them) I was using a float and dryed mackerel as bait. The fish was a ballan wrasse on a beautiful sunny morning on beer beach.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Its that long ago I can't actually remember.
We used to net minnows and sticklebacks in the local river.
At the age of 6 or 7 my old man bought be some coarse tackle from an old boy who'd packed up. He used to take me and my brother and ended up fishing himself.
Likely the first proper rod caught fish would have been a perch in the early 70's.
I can also remember plundering the local stream for little brownies with a school mate. That must have been around 1977 as we went on to different schools after that. I had my old edgar sealey cane rod and he turned up with his dad's Bruce and walker rod on which he managed to smash the top section. He never turned up fishing after that.

Beach fishing started for me about 20 years ago when I moved into the South West. Never lived more than 15 minutes from the sea since.
In fact thinking about that, its just made me think about how the weather / climate must have changed. In the early 2000's we used to catch good sized whiting from the shore by the truck load. We ate lost of whiting at that time.
Winters then seemed much colder from November on.
Not had any whiting in numbers for a good number of years.

Caught my first bass on a dexter in 2001.
Pretty much in the years following, I've just targeted bass and cod.
The last few years with the bass ban has seen my fishing restricted to winter months for codling and flatties.
To be fair I've had a pretty narrow species list.
Excepting the usual mackerel sessions, there's only been the occasional smoothie, the odd gurnard and the odd conger caught.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My dad took me to Colin Stevens tackle shop and bought me a rod and reel fiber glass rod green colour and white handle fixed reel, took it back to his boat on the river nar,cau caught no end of eel's. That must be late 60's 1970 i was 6/7 at the time. Any way I went there one day and couldn't find it asked dad and he said he saw the rod handle disappear under the water one day, said that someone had broken into the boat and threw it over board! I was gutted! He never did buy me another one.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Mine would have most likely been a small perch, caught in one of the myriad of little ditches and streams around where I lived as a child. My father bought me a small rod and reel to start me off, I caught loads of small fish on that set up...great fun days that started me off on the long road to the best part of a fishing lifetime.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Brown trout .
Caught in the burn at the bottom of my grandfather's garden.

My dad took the 6 year old me fishing . Told me everybody was expecting me to bring back trout for breakfast.

We managed to get 2 that morning. I felt as proud as punch as I sat at the breakfast table with my grandad and we ate the trout

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
A Small Perch, from a Dagenham park lake at Matchstick Island, a school friend who was a keen angler had all the gear, i had no idea :), no one in the family took me fishing, so he being a good school friend he took me and got me hooked on fishing. Roach and Dace we were meant to catch, but a Lucky small Perch was the first fish i caught, then later it was Winter fishing for Pike on frozen lake at Epping Forest, and other small lakes. My first sea fish was caught off Weymouth Pier, and it was a Smelt, thought it was a Sprat or Pilchard, it was about the only sea fish i seen or eaten apart from Cod in batter and shell fish food, including Jellied eel, it was identified by the local tackle shop where i got the bait from. Later my first boat trip was Mackerel fishing from the many Mackerel boats that used to fish in Weymouth Bay, basic hand line trolling for Mackerel and caught my first real sea fish for tea. Used to spend most of the Summer School Holidays in Weymouth, My Nan had a Restaurant , Fish and Chip shop and a Cafe right on the corner near the Jubilee Clock on the Weymouth sea front and sands, all the holiday makers that came straight off the train station, had to pass it was a perfect location.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
5lb bull Huss off mevergisy on a cheapo rod and reel me parents bought for me as on hols there still got the rod now used it for me kids catching mackerel few years back ps I was 5 at the time never caught a bigger Huss since :(

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
5lb bull Huss off mevergisy on a cheapo rod and reel me parents bought for me as on hols there still got the rod now used it for me kids catching mackerel few years back ps I was 5 at the time never caught a bigger Huss since :(
Peaked a bit early there mate lol.
Cracker of a first fish though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
A small rudd which when I struck it flew out the water and straight into the top of a big bramble bush ,surprized I could remember that one ,thanks for jogging the memories,I was probably 4 or five about 1976.a lake called château pieces in Cambridge,also this lake is mentioned in a book called monster pike as it had a pike caught which would have been a British record if it hadn't lost its spawn while being retained in the keep net.this lake was a small friends and family only syndicate type lake that my dad brother and friends found and the tales of the one that got away stories I listened to over the years as a young boy I can still remember ,what great memories and feelings I have again thanks tow rag and everyone else who has given input to this post ,fond fond memories.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts