World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cut the number of marks I can access safely steadliy down over the years and have been working on ideas and solutions to be less limited. I have tried quads, trikes, electric bikes, scooters, push bike in fact anything that saved even the smallest amount of stress and pain and know a lot of others are in similar circumstances.

Well shopmobility is not just designed for whizzing round your local supermarket, you can hire for the day, week and take a scooter with you once you are a member. In Rhyl North Wales membership is only £10 and you can hire by the hour or £6 a day, in Worcester its £16 a year to join and £8 a day to hire. Once you ahve joined you can hire from all shopmobility shemes nationawide.

Now Ok, you arent going to get far on a soft sand / shale low water mark, but the idea has its place, piers, proms, hard sand. I am usually OK as long as I can park close to where I am fishing, but when summer arrives i am usually stuffed as I cant carry my tack any distance. Some scooters are now rated to 35 stones and capable of carrying 2 people ( ukmotivation.co.uk I want one of them !!! )

Perhaps you have a disabled spouse that will only stick sitting watching you fish for so long, hire a scooter and point them in the direction of the town, most have a 20 mile range these days.

http://www.justmobility.co.uk/shop/

G

·
While on the subject Sal and not wanting to hijack your post, I am surprised that all of the regional forums do not have a 'Sticky' on marks that are disabled friendly. We have one on the SE forum for anyone visiting the area as well as for locals.
Maybe it is an idea that should be adopted in all regions.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a grand idea Cascars, easy access marks are declining at a rate of knots with current trends, dont forget folks we are talking marks that are suitable and safe for youngsters in many cases ! Mini motos have accounted for many gates to be locked and access barred to wheelchairs, scooters and prams, pushchairs let alone tackle trolleys.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Alan Yates in the May??? edition of Sea Angler makes a comment on Health and Safety aspects on walking on some of the manmade boulder groynes. Apparently there has been a recent death of someone trapped in these sea defences.
Surely at the planning stages the relevant authorities should give some thought to aspects other than pure civil engineering.
Access for the public would be only a minor expense if arranged at the planning stage. What cost a walkway and a few viewing (fishing) platforms in comparison with the overall expense?
Anglers have some representative bodies - are they involved at any stage?
Frustrating!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for that info'
I suffer from spinal stenosis and am limited to about 50 yards or so before serious pain sets in. This sort of thing is just what I need if the wife wants a mooch round every bloody decorating/furniture/curtain/ikea there is in England!!

Afishionado

·
Registered
241 Posts
Great info! One thing I will warn people thinking of using one of these is to not take the milage given by manufacturers as gospel. You should take about a third off to give the true milage as they get their milage under test conditions in their factory. This doesn't take into account user weight, ground conditions, slopes, tyre pressure etc. The range of accessories available is amazing, plenty of thing to stow gear away into!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Following on from Sallys Post.....I am pleased to announce the opening of a shopmobility scheme here in Penzance.:)

This has taken 2 years hard work to get of the ground but will I believe make a great difference to many people with mobility problems.

These schemes are for anyone who has a mobility problem short, medium or long term.

I unashamedly post a link to the website:)
http://www.gopenzance.com/

There are over 250 shopmobility schemes nationally providing excellent services for everyone who has a mobility problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There is also a mobility scheme in Falmouth and a great deal of marks that are good in the Penryn river can be accessed using the buggies they provide. Mainly from Princess Wales Pier and the Market Strand car park

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.ukmotorvation.co.uk/cadi413d.html

I have had a test drive in one of these ( the bottom one with tackle box adaption ) and I have to say how impressed I am with them. I shall start refilling the piggy bank once my bungalow is sorted ( STILL FLOODED OUT 12 weeks later !!!!!!! )

A mate of mine has bought one, he actually carries 2 tackle boxes, rod bag, bait and weighs as much as an elephant calf ( I know he aint on this site ! PMSL ) Copes well with rough, but reckon you could have an exstended stay if you ventured onto Chesil with one ! LOL

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I am a member of shopmobility in Swansea, it cost me £8 for a years membership, phone 24hrs in advance and you can have a scooter for the day at no extra charge, Port Talbot and Neath also got a shopmobility scheme but my Swansea membership does not cover me and they charge per 1/2 day usage.
I find it a godsend in Swansea, when my Mrs is traipsing around the shops it saves my back and means i can keep an eye on her spending:p because i can be with her. (mega fun riding around Primark though :D )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great tread could do with some thing my self , but iam a bit vein to be seen on one.
i am 40years old & look younger ,
i can manage about 50 - 75 yards on foot walking at a very slow pace.
Bad heart & lungs have really affected my fishing
its not only the walk but the colder weather really stops me fishing to.
lets hope surgeon`s can sort me out soon been 2 1/2 years now
And i may even try shopmobaility.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great tread could do with some thing my self , but iam a bit vein to be seen on one.
i am 40years old & look younger ,
i can manage about 50 - 75 yards on foot walking at a very slow pace.
Bad heart & lungs have really affected my fishing
its not only the walk but the colder weather really stops me fishing to.
lets hope surgeon`s can sort me out soon been 2 1/2 years now
And i may even try shopmobaility.
I am 37 Matey, I started off hating the crip carts, went through a variety of quads, trikes but predominantly bloody sweat and tears to get fishing, and then within restrictions that I hated. If I do my shopping using a cart, I can use more energy for the more important things in life---fishing ! LOL

Having adapted a coarse anglers box trolley as a trailer on my souped up ancient crip cart, I can get to where I want without cutting down my tackle and still be well enough to fish. Real cool and hip now, it wheelies ! PMSL

My fingers are crossed for you with regards to the surgeons and waiting lists, do you fish alone ? Maybe hooking up with a few reprobates off WSF would lighten the load on the way to a mark ?

·
Registered
24,907 Posts
Some of the motability hire units also have buggies with joystick controls.

I had found that using a handle bar steering one was too much for my bust disc problems in the lower spine, when a guy in Peterborough suggested I try the 4 / 8 mph 30 stone joystick controlled one .

My lass was dropping and I was still shopping , thankfully I haven't needed to resort to one recently but it's good to know the equipment is around so you may need to research/check it out with the local unit.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts