World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time of year that us Sussex boys begin thinking about budgeting diesel costs for the invasions along the coast to Kentish lands. I would like to start early, cos I have a mission to catch a BIG sole. Would anyone like to get my feet on the ground by pm'ing some potential target venues? Not so interested in the thames, more the south coast. Also, if anyone knows anything about the chalk cliffs and reef to the right of Dover as you come into Dover on the ferry, I would be interested to hear about it. That patch of rough cerainly caught my eye!!

I ask this as someone who has assisted a fair few Kentish lads this year. I would not ask for something for nothing..... ;)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Similar to response to what I recieved,look like a lot of takers on here.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Actually quite a few, in PM, for which I am very grateful!! Watch this space for some tidy flat things....!!
tidy flat things..lol...are you buying a new pad..some nice ones in newhaven harbour right now..!!!

i was pondering this point after i pm d you...do you really need to go to far afield for a decent sole as i seem to remember a few being caught of the east street groyne..

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tidy flat things..lol...are you buying a new pad..some nice ones in newhaven harbour right now..!!!

i was pondering this point after i pm d you...do you really need to go to far afield for a decent sole as i seem to remember a few being caught of the east street groyne..
I've had ten in two sessions at Newhaven, but only seen one pound plus fish to my mate Steve (Mesito). Keen to find a lump!! I had similar advice from another Sussex angler. I fished the Meeting place cafe the other night, but just pesky bass and bream...... :(

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
I've had ten in two sessions at Newhaven, but only seen one pound plus fish to my mate Steve (Mesito). Keen to find a lump!! I had similar advice from another Sussex angler. I fished the Meeting place cafe the other night, but just pesky bass and bream...... :(
no not newhaven rob the east street groyne in brighton ..you have the one next to the pier and the east street the next one along..

i seem to remember a few being caught there to the well known locals...

·
Registered
21,049 Posts
If you want big sole suggest you look west young man...Clevedon, Portishead, Ladye Bay...big beasts over that way.....doable from Sussex I would have thought. Bit of a challenge for the jolly old Dvice...

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Hi,

Miz Git is right that some big sole come out from the upper Bristol channel marks but they are few and far between and alot of them are taken when fishing for cod. A friend had one just under 4lb on a pennel rig. However, in 20 years living in Clevedon and fishing those marks the best sole I managed was 1 .5 lbs and the most I had in a session was 2 fish. Cogden on Chesil beach was a much better bet for sole although average size was about 2lb. In mid 80's a bag of upto 6 wasn't uncommon, but then so was a catch of up to 50 plaice - albeit only 6 or so would be over 1lb and worth keeping. Over the years though it go to the stage where you would struggle to catch 2 or 3 flatties there. Spider crabs can also be a pain during the day and whiting once dark, with best time for the sole usually being late evening although sometimes they'd appear duirng the day. Might be worth looking on the south forum to see how Chesil's fishing.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Also, if anyone knows anything about the chalk cliffs and reef to the right of Dover as you come into Dover on the ferry, I would be interested to hear about it.

Fan bay, akward access from the land but doable if you`re supa fit !

Used to be brilliant for Soles and Plaice in the daytime, almost guaranteed every trip through the summer in the boat, 10 years ago.
BUT, the ground has changed hugely over the last few years. Seems the mud and sand has been scoured out. The bottom now is big chalk boulders, full of Wrasse.

Makes for a fun days fishing in the boat, but certainly not worth having a heart attack for getting there on foot !

Dave.
kentcharterfishing.com

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
ive heard other rumours from a reputable source, ive walked down there and it is a mission, certainly not the place to take the kitchen sink!

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys, both here and in PM. Its given me some targets!! I would have been off tonight, but my wifes shop got robbed over the weekend so I'm busy dealing with that (anyone sell steel doors and frames?) but as of tomorrow night, I expect to be back on the sole trail!!

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Sully Island Bay down here in Sunny Wales can be a sole hot spot, they have been caught up to nearly 4lbs from there in the last year or two. Why not give plums a ring to arrange a sesh, he's down here at the moment :thumbs:
Bit of a trek, I know, but if its yr target...then you gotta travel somewhere :thumbs:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts