World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
goin for a fish tonite and gonna use some fresh sardines i bought in tescos as bait - just wondered if anyones ever used em and caught anything ??? cheers - bdb

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Tried them in France, Cannes, no luck. Octopus liked Squid and Mackerel, but the Bass and Bream(Gilt Head, Black and Red) were supposed to go berserk for them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i have always found that they disentegrate quickly on the hook but they do give a quality scent trail

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
there meant to be a very good bait to tip of rag for dabs.

but if you mount one on a 3/0 like an eel for pollock you should be in there. you will need to use bait thread.

Jamie

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
my headmaster has it!!! lol

PM me, or call me on my house.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tried them whole and in strips , cocktailed with just dug lug too - not a bite - totally blanked - i think it was the conditions more than the bait so im gonna try em again next time - cheers - bdb

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
tried them whole and in strips , cocktailed with just dug lug too - not a bite - totally blanked - i think it was the conditions more than the bait so im gonna try em again next time - cheers - bdb
I once like you mate bought them from tesco in the hope that the bass would take but had no luck, they are as stinky as a bait you would want to try but they are quite soft and i found even with elastic they struggled to stay on the hook, what bites that did register on them resulted in a bit being taken and not the hook, maybe its just not a natural bait for them along the coast as they obviously would have been caught in further waters and are shore bass would prefer their regional resource, just a theory mind, so dont quote me.lol, personally i think that most areas bass will take the mackeral or squid quite happily, or even limpet.
Good luck trying them again though bdb, tightlines

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
hi the problem with the sardines that you brought at tescos is that there not as fresh as you think they are the ones that are prepacked hang around for a day or two even when they are in store , and even buying them from the counter they are still not really fresh as they arrive in store in pack ice that almost freezes them so infact the bait you buy is partly defrosted.. sardines more so with them than other fish bait deteroiate really quick and the oils become rancid and therrefore they are not good as bait sardine should be used as fresh as possible a really good pike bait when fresh frozen but a day older the catch rate falls much the same i would suspect when using it as a sea bait.. cheers andy

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hi Boris
You would be better off using sprats as a tipping bait with some manky black lug....its a killer bait for Dabs

MrB

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nice one mr beachams - i ll give that a go - i only tried the sardines coz they looked good and shiny for a bass (i thought )and youve got to try everything once innit -hope to see ya all soon - bdb

·
Banned
820 Posts
goin for a fish tonite and gonna use some fresh sardines i bought in tescos as bait - just wondered if anyones ever used em and caught anything ??? cheers - bdb
I have found them excellent as a bait trail scent device. Mash them up in a mincer and put them in some fine ladies tights sections and tie them up about mini sausage size. Great for bulking up Cod baits.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
hi the problem with the sardines that you brought at tescos is that there not as fresh as you think they are the ones that are prepacked hang around for a day or two even when they are in store , and even buying them from the counter they are still not really fresh as they arrive in store in pack ice that almost freezes them so infact the bait you buy is partly defrosted.. sardines more so with them than other fish bait deteroiate really quick and the oils become rancid and therrefore they are not good as bait sardine should be used as fresh as possible a really good pike bait when fresh frozen but a day older the catch rate falls much the same i would suspect when using it as a sea bait.. cheers andy
Bang on Andy. When I started using Sardines for Pike, the only ones that I caught on were in a bag that claimed that they were blast frozen at sea. You used to be able to buy bags of these at Tesco, but now they claim that they only sell fresh (ie not previously frozen) The trouble is, sitting on the fish counter at tesco's means they are virtually putrid, along with their mackerel and herring, not even worth thinking about for bait. You can still get the bags of blast frozen ones in good fishmongers, and also very good value in Bookers Cash and Carry, if you should happen to have a trade card. Also, Boris, the widget should cary a whole sardine without the need for elastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts