World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all. I'm from a very different part of the world but was wondering if any surf anglers here has positive experience with GULP artificial worms by Berkley. Just need to know if the species you usually target with worms actually eat artificial ones. In my neck of the woods anglers usually buy worms instead of digging for them but at times they might be sold out or we just can't get enough to last the night. I'm thinking of using GULP worms alone or with a small section of real worm for "flavor". Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

They work exceptionally well when used slow spun for Pollack etc, they are not so effective when used as static baits.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi there. I have never used them as a static bait so cannot say if they work!!!! Personally I would not use them for this application. However, i`ve used them from boat and shore (drifting/deep spinning etc) and they work very well. Are there alternative baits you can use? shellfish perhaps? fish baits? artificials?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've just gone & spent 36 euros on some Berkley Gulp baits. 6" sandworms, natural bloodworms, 2" peelers and 2" baby shrimp. One packet of each. I might try them float fished as I've caught both bass & mackies on real rag & shrimp that way. What kind of rig would be necessary for slow spinning them? Would be deadly for scad I reckon...

·
Registered
785 Posts
I guess that proves that though results can be mixed, they can and do work. The two inch peelers look terribly realistic. The other day whilst low on bait on took some tiny crabs out of the rock pools and hooked 'em up with the help of bait elastic and had loads of hits from young bass which abound at this time of year in the estuary. The bites were as soon as the bait reached the seabed, so I guess that they don't wait that long to see if it's real or not, they just go for it instinctively. will report.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well I have to report failure. I tried the sandworm, the green shrimp and the 2" peeler over rock and sand & not a single knock was had.
This is an area that produces mostly wrasse and small bream.
Might have been an off-day, 'cos people in the area were float fishing strips of sardine in the hope of mackies and gars, but they blanked too. I was there for about 3.5 hours. Soul destroying!

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Tried them once, not bothered since...

The killer crab pattern. Blanked.

With out resulted...

Small ponds in America for large or small mouth bass, they work...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
use them all the time when in lanzarote, the crabs take bigger lizard fish, the worms small bream, they must be on the move though, the little fish just pick the crabs legs off.

·
Registered
785 Posts
By 'on the move' do you mean they would be better float fished for example, so they're moving along with the current?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts