World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across a nice secondhand beach casting rod rated at 2-8oz and rung for multiplier but it is only 11ft in length rather than the more usual 12 or 13ft. Would this really be of any disadvantage as I'll be mainly using it off piers and probably won't be attempting to use leads over 5 or 6oz and won't actually be attempting to sling these to the horizon either?

·
Registered
66 Posts
It should make things a little easier for you using it from a peir as there will be less leaverage on the tip giving you more control than you would have with a longer rod.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Lucky despite what 'er indoors says size is not really an issue 11ft is perfectly adequate even for most beach fishing-I myself use a 10 ft DAM rod fishing in the surf for bass and find it a lovely piece of kit-well it catches fish and teamed with alittle Abu f/s reel gives good sport even if the bass is only a schoolie but it also has enough grunt to handle larger specimens ;)

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Ive got an old 12 ft daiwa rod I've had since I was a kid and snapped about 8 inches off the tip years ago.
Put a tip on it and it's been fine.
It's just over 11 ft now and have found no problem using it

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all your advice - after a bit more research I've now worked out that the the rod I'm considering has a fairly heavy action. It is however rated at 2-8 ounces so would it still be reasonably OK for casting 2-4 ounce weights (such as a 60g Dexter wedge for instance) bearing in mind attaining super large casting distances is not a huge priority.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Sounds fine but at that sort of rating are you sure it's not an uptider? The theory is that a rod rated from 2-8 oz will work better with weights towards the top of its' range as these will bend the rod more as you cast. But if castings not a priority then just try it- what have you got to lose?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi paidfor - no it's definitely a beachcaster. I decided to as you say "suck it and sea" last week and although I don't think it will be the perfect rod for casting the feathers and 2oz wedge, I do need the second beachcaster for my mate who's just getting into fishing so I went ahead and got the rod. It's a 2 piece 11ft Daiwa Eliminator rated at 20-40lb and rated for casting 2-8oz. It's fitted with (Fuji style) aluminium oxide lined guides and a Fuji reel seat. I waited till the last couple of minutes before bidding and picked it up for £27.00 on ebay. The rod is in excellent condition. It arrived in the post on Saturday morning and we took it down to Hastings pier on Sunday where it was fine for just dropping over the side and fishing around the pylons. I expect it's quite good for casting heavier weights - I'll get used to it as I go along but the guy who I bought it off beach fished with it in Florida (I expect that's where he bought the rod) for a couple of seasons with it and reckons it will sling 5oz 100 yards no problem. All in all it's a nice rod for a good price that we will get a lot of use out of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts