World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to have a fishing session yesterday (Fri 1 Jun), well England were on TV and everytime I watch them underperform I have the urge to throw a 5oz breakaway through the telly. Started packing the kit up and realised my digi camera wasn't working, changed the batteries to no avail. The hail storm at Rhosneigr last week has killed it. I was forced to rely on my mobile phone camera for the weekend.

Dropped into Rays just after 7 to load up on bait, and headed for the Lleyn Peninsula.

Got to a beach where there was a fair amount of swell, even given the flat calm wind and set up 2 rods at about 22:00.

first rod was my plugging rod with a 1-up 1-down flapper with 3/0 hooks, this was cast out about 30 yards with a mixture of lug and rag for bait. (One day I may even use it for plugging... :) )

2nd rod was my metalite beachcaster coupled with a centurion fixed spool and 30lb braid. Rig was an up-and-over wishbone with 3/0 hooks baited with worm or sandeel, and cast to the horizon.

10 minutes in and the close range plugging rod starts nodding like crazy, pulled into it followed by a brief scrap saw me beaching this

Schoolie of around 12" long. My first Bass of the year. All counts towards species, and size really doesn't matter!

I had no more bites in the next 30min and all my baits were coming back untouched. A voice entered my head saying 'Try Trefor Pier, you have been after Bass and Huss solidly for 6 weeks, it may be your lucky night!'

I don't normally get voices in my head, so I took notice.

Arrived and had my rods set up at Trefor by 23:30. the plugging rod was set up with a 2-up 1-down avis boomed scratching rig with size 6 hooks and pieces of ragworm. This was flicked out 5-10ft.

2nd rod, the same beachcaster combo as before was set up with a 6/0- 4/0 pulley pennel and baited with sandeel or squid.

I got chatting to 2 anglers already there, who were catching my favourite fish (doggies! :( ) and nothing else, and it wasn't long before I had had a brace of them to the pulley rig.

after the 2nd was unhooked and returned I put a whole squid on and cast out, 10 mins later a huge bite got me scrabbling for my rod, and I lifted into a huge weight.

I turned to the 2 other anglers and said, Think I've got a spider crab here, it's too heavy for a dog, and not fighting.

That was the cue for it to start scrapping, bending my rod double and forcing me to let out line. After a touch and go scrap that lasted 10mins I got a large Huss to the surface.

Those of you that have read my previous reports on Trefor Pier know that I have dropped 3-4 big fish there trying to handline them in the past month. I wanted this fish landed, so opted for walking around to the harbour.

I told the 2 other anglers my plan, to which they asked whether I was keeping it. I replied no, I'll get a photo and weigh it, but if they wanted it for the pot they could have it. At this they decided to help me out. Which I was most grateful for as 3 headlamps checking positions of fish, various pier beams and timbers and rod positions made my life a lot easier.

After 10 mins I had it round by the steps of the car park, where I landed it. Took this photo

and weighed it. Scales settled on 10lb 1oz. My first ever double figure fish, and also a new species for the year.

I was well made up!

I continued fishing unti 01:15, but only succeeded in legitimately hooking this

shrimp in the mouth to a rag bait on my plugging rod.

Drove home exhausted, but happy!

Days Scores 1 Bass, 1 Huss, 2 Dogs

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Llam Carw - Sat 2nd Jun 07

I had arranged to fish Llam Carw (to the east of Amlwch) during the week, when the weather forecast had predicted strong winds from the south, which would of rendered the Western rock marks a tad unpredictable.

As it was a good plan, we set off there at 10:00 and after being held up by the holiday traffic finally arrived and got fishing at 11:45.

I initially set my beachcaster up with a 1-up 1-down rig, and my plugging rod was again used with small hooks, ragworm baits and fluorocarbon snoods after the mini species.

I have had Goldsinny Wrasse from here before and they were todays main targets.

Fishing was fairly slow, however after 30min I was able to weed out this

small Pollack, which was quickly followed by this

Poor Cod, which was to be the 1st of 4 on the day.

It was around then that we got a visitor.

I have never met such a tame wild bird (crow / Raven?) and had to have a tug of war with it over the bait bag. Yes that is my foot in the bottom of the picture.

It stayed with us all day, and was fed on squid and sandeel, as well as scrap left over bait. It was able to fly, appeared not to have any broken bones and just ignored us when we tried to shoe it away.

My mate suggested it may have Bird Flu, as there was something not right about it being around and so tame. So I climbed to the top of the cliffs to get a mobile phone signal and rang the RSPCA.

Left a message on their answerphone at lunchtime today, and I am still awaiting them to phone back.

Anyway, continued fishing and had this

on the plugging rod. I was convinced it was a crab until it broke surface, thus confirming that they don't fight. I was only using 2oz of lead! To be fair the 2nd one I had today did put up a semi scrap.

By this time I'd packed up my beachcaster and was solely using my plugging rod. a small rag bait at close range saw this

2lb 1oz Ballan Wrasse landed, possibly the biggest I've had. (Not weighed earlier ones of this size)

Final cast on the day resulted in this

15" Pollack landed, before packing up just before 16:00

Days scores 4 Poor Cod, 2 Pollack, 2 Dogfish, 1 Ballan.

No Goldsinny, but I've found a part of Llam Carw that I would feel safe fishing alone if need be.

I may use up some baits scratching for bits on Llandudno Pier tomorow daytime, however this is very much weather and hangover dependant!

tight lines

·
Registered
8,048 Posts
Congratulations on the Huss Gareth :clap3: Glad to see all your hard work finally paid off :) Well done.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Very enjoyable illustrated report! I think you've earned the right to buy a big drop net!!! Next time you walk a fish all that way you'll get back to find your gear gone!! Seriously thougha great couple of sessions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great report, and congratulations on your catch.

That bird looks like a young Carrion Crow having a few juvenile brownish feathers on it's back.

In 30 years of birding I've never seen one so tame! Presumably it's an out of the way spot and the bird has not seen many humans yet - and learnt that most of them are not so trustworthy.

Have to admire it's initiative though...

All the best

Andrew

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't know about that Andrew,

My mate spent half the session chasing it around rocks, waving arms and shouting it away. A most amusing site ( He wouldn't of hurt it, in fact he was scared he was going to have his eyes pecked out!)

it'd move off 15ft, sulk for 5 minutes and then fly back when we weren't looking.

·
Registered
146 Posts
something you guys should be aware of, someone i chat to dives and was under trefor pier last week, i mentioned to him that its also a popular fishing mark, his reply
You anglers may be better suited learning to read , having looked at the pier from underneath, it's been condemned for a reason
The thing that me off though Treeboa is that there are loads of dogfish in that area all dead the anglers are just killing them, either on purpose or through their actions, dropping the poor buggers back off a 15 foot pier can't help.

We didn't find the reef off to the right, buddy got a bit spooked after a short distance when he heard a boat and buggered off back to the peir we did see a small reef off the end of the pier though, which was OK.

There are MAHUSSIVE crabs galore and I will post some pics when I've got mine and my buddies sorted through. Some shrimp, and a few other fishies, i think they were mainly some kind of wrasse, but saltie fish ID is not my speciality

Oh and the pier was bad enough that having walked on it on Saturday (long the joints ) then dived under it later Saturday, we both decided on Sunday they was didn't need to look at the water conditions from off the pier itself my buddy is a portly fellow too and we thought it may be too much

·
Registered
580 Posts
Excellent report gareth and nice fish

My thoughts are what bit through your pollack if the fish was 15" and judging by the reel i estimate the bite to be 5-6 inches. Now its definatly not a doggy and huss are more of a rasping fish using its body to spin and break of chunks, so i would count it out. also the backbone has also been taken out by the clean bite, did u see any seals around as i would have thought that sort of bite had something to do with one of them greedy buggers.
frostman

·
Registered
77 Posts
thats not a bite Frostman. Its a piece of rock sticking out over the fish. Have a look again. Its a bit of an optical illusion.
:blink:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just the rock, it wouldn't lay still and slid into where I took the shot

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The thing that me off though Treeboa is that there are loads of dogfish in that area all dead the anglers are just killing them, either on purpose or through their actions, dropping the poor buggers back off a 15 foot pier can't help.

A few years ago I saw Trefor harbour littered with big huss and there was an odd one swimming around in circles. There were also dead ones in the boats in the harbour. The fish had obviously been caught in nets and dumped.

Tell your diver mate not to jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A few years ago when I lived in Nefyn I recall on several occassions seeing loads of dogfish washed up.

Presumably someone with a net was involved and dumping them, unless some shore angler had a particularly frustrating session!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts