World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Ive been coarse fishing for over 30 years and just getting into seafishing now.
Im off down the south coast to spend my birthday with my brother doing a bit of fishing
Ive bought a job lot of rigs,weight and feathers ect and when I tried before did catch but on reading things im going to ask a question which any sea fisherman will probably think is stupid !!!!
On some of the rigs I have two and three hooks does this meen Ineed to put on two/three baits or is this if I use a big bate I need to put a hook length on with more hooks.
To anyonewho normally sea fishes this probably sounds really stupid but im not sure.
Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Unless it is a Pennel rig, one bait per hook.

·
Registered
729 Posts
A Pennel rig is for fishing large baits like whole squid - it gives a better chance of a hookup by having a hook mounted in each end of the bait.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going to Portland this weekend and will start with beach casting in the evening by the time i get there
ive got a tide table is there a best/worse time to try

·
Registered
736 Posts
Im going to Portland this weekend and will start with beach casting in the evening by the time i get there
ive got a tide table is there a best/worse time to try
When I've been down there recently I've tended to focus more on the evening's fishing. We'll fish through till 4am then sleep till midday, chuck one rod out with a bait but feather for Mackerel. Black Breem are coming out in the day but not a lot more (for me at least).

Night time's a whole different kettle of...... fish.

·
Registered
871 Posts
but you don't HAVE to put on two baits, often i will fish both hooks until i see one is doing better then I will only use the "best" hook, there is alot to be said for different baits on each hooks though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.