·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Definatly not a good idea cutting fibreglass with a grinder with no eye protection, mask and gloves. Leant that one the hard way.

Well done for going for it. I confess i'd have sooner started again from scratch.
Hi Sharpshooter,
My mate is not one for PPE but Managed to get a white suite on him to do the job....Agree with you that GRP in that form is bad stuff...

The Reason for Chopping the Flyer was that we have got hold of a Pilot 17 that some one started to do the work on then time didn,t allow him to finish his project so we took it off his hands,the Boat had been on his drive for 15 years and had tree and plants growing in/on it,it is now alongside the other Pilot 17 and they are sheeted over ready for New decks,Transom and Ribs ,the templates are from the Wilson so there is not alot of messing about cutting profiles which is time consuming,all we have to do is place templates on sheets of Marine Ply and cut two lots out in one go,we have the 18mm Marine ply so only need to buy some marine ply that is a bit thinner to finish the decks off....Just waiting for a spell of good weather to get them cut out....

The Video that I made of Windy One chopping the Wilson was abit of fun with us having NO Intension of trying to peice it back together,instead it was to demonstrate how much water Ingress the Wilson Had,The Wilson was going to be sorted but as it turned out there was alot of work to be done to the hull which had been clagged up with all sorts of stuff and needed a heck of alot of work doing to it,Now that we have the other Pilot 17 a decision was made to chop the Wilson and concentrate on the other Pilot 17 that we have just aquired and as there is two of these boats in my garden they can be worked on together so they will be Better and easier and quicker to work on.

All the rest of the boat is now in a Council Skip....

It was Interesting to see exactly what was beneath the Wilson Deck,the foam was to one side of the boat and the bearers were as good as new even though it looks like they have been soaked for god knows how long,these must have been made of Marine Ply,,It surely shows that Those Early Wilson Flyers have been made to last,..A shame that we cut her up but a decision was made to concentrate on the other Pilot 17 that we picked up.

Thought that it was a laugh having the Wilson Flyer cut up and hoped other people would enjoy me sharing the film of the cutting...
We Kept the Transom Pan and we had already cut the Cabin bulkhead out and sold it along with some other bits for a Wilson/Pilot that we didn,t need,.....the templates will not be doing any harm stored in a shed and if we need a Template in the future we have one handy plus if anyone else needs a paper template we can just draw around them and send them off...
KB.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
No worries.
It was late, so i confess to not watching the whole clip.
It made me itch just watching the first few mins. That GRP is nasty stuff for sure :)

I happen to know the guys at plymouth pilots pretty well (they supplied virtually all the materials for my 'home build') they spend most of their time making parts for suberau WRC cars body kit and also panels for Hercules aircraft for the MOD these days; but they are still turning out a few pilots.

My bro-in-law does all the woodwork for their current new builds.
How do you rate the Plymouth Pilots mate ?, it's just that I fancy one of the 18's as my next boat.

Cheers.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
hi.. i have a pilot 17 and it has a different under deck lay out ... it has a central bilge tunnel..the flyer in the video appears to have no bilge well at all..is this common in flyers

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi.. i have a pilot 17 and it has a different under deck lay out it has a central bilge tunnel..the flyer in the video appear to have no bilge well at all..is this common in flyers

Hi Eggy,
I have seen a few like this layout with No Bilge well,..I Believe that they have been the original self draining deck whereas the bung is pulled whilst underway and the water just lets itself go,..abit like an Elephants Trunk on a Rib...Not a good idea in my view....But If anyone knows the Reason why the Early Flyers had this deck arrangement we would like to know.

Does Nemo have a foam filled Hull?
KB.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts

Hi Eggy,
I have seen a few like this layout with No Bilge well,..I Believe that they have been the original self draining deck whereas the bung is pulled whilst underway and the water just lets itself go,..abit like an Elephants Trunk on a Rib...Not a good idea in my view....But If anyone knows the Reason why the Early Flyers had this deck arrangement we would like to know.

Does Nemo have a foam filled Hull?
KB.
hi ..i believe this is the layout of nemo but the piccies are what i found on the net..and is not nemo..but from what i can see its the same..these might help you..nemo does have foam. but not right across because of the bilge tunnel...if you know what i mean..

incidently i would like a splash well (pan) for nemo if you have one spare..sorry just a thought

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi Eggy,
We cut the old Splashwell/Transom pan out of the wilson flyer so we have one spare though we live where the humber bridge is so is quite a run from where you live,the shape of the transom pan is deep in the middle and shallow on the sides so a nice hieght to put things under it,...I dont know if Ken Wilson sells them seperately maybe worth you ringing him his tel No is or .

Wrong Tel Nos for Ken Wilson,anyone out there have the right ones?
He is down south somewhere so will be closer to you,...let us know how you get on.
KB.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
hi .. i would like to reistate the splashwell as you know i tried a few times myself to try and solve the problem of the missing well..
as i got nemo..

another attempt

as nemo is now..

back to the foam ..how can i tell if mine is water logged..?its on a mooring and no trailor..can i see from inside the boat..?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi ..i believe this is the layout of nemo but the piccies are what i found on the net..and is not nemo..but from what i can see its the same..these might help you..nemo does have foam. but not right across because of the bilge tunnel...if you know what i mean..

incidently i would like a splash well (pan) for nemo if you have one spare..sorry just a thought
Hi Eggy,
The same Transom Pan that is in the pic is what we took off the one in my garden.
KB.

G

·
They were very common choises for single handed hook and line fishermen for a longtime. They are great little boats, although I have never owned one myself.

These days the majority of commercial guys go for something like a cygnus 19 as they are much bigger boats for similar LOA, and the pilots are relatively costly for working boats, although much easier on the eye.
Can I add that they've a reputation of being a very solidly laid-up, seaworthy boat - in another world compared to the sea skimmers so beloved by the 25knot+ brigade.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that the long low cabins on the older models dont look practical /athestic for a Angling Boat,you can still stow your gear in a shorter cabin that is lockable without losing too much of your deck area,the ones that we are doing up in my garden will have the shorter cabin,mines coming off a 20ft wilson but I will have to cut a section out of the centre for the beam on a 20ft is greater,...my mate is making a cabin with houdini hatch and spray screen mould and if it all turns out ok you may see them offered for sale in the future.
KB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts