World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do we educated dog walkers on the beach.I have no issue with dog walkers, I have just returned to beach fishing recently. This weekend several dog came bounding around me, twice tried to take baited hooks, this is dangerous for the animals. One took my food, several tried to get my bait. Some owner just let them run out of their sight. Only a few cleaned up after their dogs defecated. This is dangerous to children who play on the beach. Personally I am wary off all dogs, so do not like them around me unless on a lead. How do we educate the owners. I think all dogs should be on leads when outside.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It's easier to educate a house brick than some people :(. We love dogs but some owners, well lots especially round here just stand and let there pets dump outside my/and other houses.

Boils my urine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Had several encounters with ignorant dog walkers. I just tell them that in no way, shape or form am I paying any vets bills.
I try to keep a tidy pitch when fishing but I’m in no way responsible for other people’s ignorance.

·
Registered
538 Posts
One dog tried peeing on my rods, poor thing didn't allow for the wind, got his own back, not a drop on the rods!

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
Had the same happen, it was an Alsatian dog ran out in front of the car, luckily stopped the car, the owner leash in hand, just shrugged his shoulders what's the problem. Park the car just around the corner outside the house the pair came along, he ordered the dog to crap outside the gate, just could not believe what i had seen, i shouted to the owner, about cleaning the mess up, but he just did not give a damn, and walked off. I call the local Dog Warden, the first thing he asked was the dog on the leash, i said no, sorry nothing i can do about it, but he did say chuck a bucket of water over the dog the next time it happens, i sooner chuck it over the owner :).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Had the same happen, it was an Alsatian dog ran out in front of the car, luckily stopped the car, the owner leash in hand, just shrugged his shoulders what's the problem. Park the car just around the corner outside the house the pair came along, he ordered the dog to crap outside the gate, just could not believe what i had seen, i shouted to the owner, about cleaning the mess up, but he just did not give a damn, and walked off. I call the local Dog Warden, the first thing he asked was the dog on the leash, i said no, sorry nothing i can do about it, but he did say chuck a bucket of water over the dog the next time it happens, i sooner chuck it over the owner :).
You chuck it on the owner as it aint the dogs fault.
Id have chucked the **** at him.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
First off, if you see a dog loose on the beach and you are fishing, make sure your baited hooks are out of reach. You are more intelligent than a dog so it is up to you to be aware.
Secondly, dogs have as much right on a beach as you or the birds where the local byelaws allow.

Den

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I'll reply to this as a dog owner, and one with a dog that is to put it mildly a bit ********. His one purpose in life is to show me up, oh and to raise my blood pressure to eye popping levels at times.

Now, I do try to think ahead, well ahead and make sure he is back on his lead at the earliest sign of possible trouble, even if it so the horizon, but some times things go "wrong".. Yes it does p1ss me off no end and for lots of reasons, one being I want to be a responsible dog owner and I don't want me dog to be an inconvenience to others...

So with that in mind, perhaps I am a bit more proactive/understanding when I see a dog running abut on the beach. I don't leave bait hooks unattended hanging on my tripod if its more than an arms length away,nor do I leave bait or other food uncovered ect around where I am sitting...At the end of the day, what ever the short coming of the owner are, we still have a degree of responsibility to look after our stuff .

·
Registered
7,431 Posts
Again as a dog owner, people should take time to train their dogs. This behaviour also annoys me when I’m out with my dogs! People who let their dogs run miles ahead with no control. I’ve taken time, and with one of my dogs blood, sweat and tears to train them to do as I tell them!! Really annoys me when an unruly dogs gets in the way of my nice controlled walk!!

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Again as a dog owner, people should take time to train their dogs. This behaviour also annoys me when I’m out with my dogs! People who let their dogs run miles ahead with no control. I’ve taken time, and with one of my dogs blood, sweat and tears to train them to do as I tell them!! Really annoys me when an unruly dogs gets in the way of my nice controlled walk!!
Absolutely fully agree!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think there will ever be a solution as there will always be a percentage of owners, let alone dogs that will do whatever they want. As others have said, I also try to keep any bait and food out of the way and if a dog is anywhere about and definitely put baited rigs out of the way. My local beach can be a nightmare with dogs appearing hours after dark. But the fact is I would be absolutely devastated if a dog impaled itself on one of my rigs whether or not it was an unruly dog or owner.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I certainly don’t think all dogs deserve to be kept on leads when outside. I think that’s quite insulting to the owners who have taken the time to train their dogs. That being said, nothing annoys me more than an owner repeatedly shouting on their dog but making no attempt to go and fetch them when they don’t respond. The sensible thing to do, which I do, is if I see anglers, or groups of children, I put my dogs on their leads as I go past them then let them off again.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I see a dog crap out side mine i follow them home and go back wrap it in newspaper set it alight on their doorstep hammer on door and leg it watch them stamp it out and traips it in their house!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First off, if you see a dog loose on the beach and you are fishing, make sure your baited hooks are out of reach. You are more intelligent than a dog so it is up to you to be aware.
Secondly, dogs have as much right on a beach as you or the birds where the local byelaws allow.

Den
I agree with the sentiment, however on one occasion I was not aware the dog was coming, I had just baited up and the dog lunged for it. I am only concerned that the dog would get hurt because the owner did not have control. I don't blame the dogs.

·
Premium Member
17,550 Posts
It’s a difficult one really. Beaches are the ideal place for dogs to walk or run especially the more energetic type dogs. I don’t think they should be on leads if they are friendly enough however I do think anglers are quite easy to spot and at this time should be put on a lead. The problem isn’t the dogs it’s the owners. I walk my dog regular along a beach as it’s 10 minutes from the house and on the rare occasion I see an angler the dogs on the lead. It is a big problem in certain areas

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I have one of those rig bar thingy's on my tripod, where you can have a weighted and baited rig/trace clipped onto the bar and ready to go, but I dare not use it due to the amount of dogs running on the beach

I can just imagine a dog grabbing the bait and pulling over the tripod and choking on the hook, and the last thing I want to do is hurt a dog

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I have one of those rig bar thingy's on my tripod, where you can have a weighted and baited rig/trace clipped onto the bar and ready to go, but I dare not use it due to the amount of dogs running on the beach

I can just imagine a dog grabbing the bait and pulling over the tripod and choking on the hook, and the last thing I want to do is hurt a dog
I'm the same, i only use mine at night now, only last month a mutt pinched me bait elastic:mad2:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts