World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:fishing: i caught 1 of many doggies the other nite off a good mark. usually i js throw em back, but av decided t taste i knw there a mission t skin n all that. but my question is i caught it early hours on the 22nd i havent frozen it. i jus stuck it in the fridge, as i havent had time to skin n gut. will it still be ok t gut n skin today 24th n still be safe to eat 2 days after i caught it?. as it has been dead for 2 days and still isnt gutted? will i have to eat it the same day i skin it? if not is there a certain way to store? and does any1 knw how to cook it cheers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
having the guts still in is the main problem, then tend to be the first part of the fish to turn. I find skinning them isn't essential straight away, but I do find it easier.

as its dog fish, i mean you can always gut it and have a look lol

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
skinning is easy if you know how, i do all my gutting and skinning on the beach and it all goes for the bass. have a look here

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mackie in the shops still have the guts in. They will be a lot older than 2 days. To skin, make a nick in the skin, grab it with a pair of pliers and pull down the fish.

·
Registered
25,132 Posts
skinning is easy if you know how, i do all my gutting and skinning on the beach and it all goes for the bass. have a look here
Just a thought,do yo think that leaving the guts in it may taint the flesh with ammonia???? Ive allways gutted and skinned doggys not long after ive caught them. Like i say,just a thought as i only skin gut the odd one or two for a relative now and again.

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
Just a thought,do yo think that leaving the guts in it may taint the flesh with ammonia???? Ive allways gutted and skinned doggys not long after ive caught them. Like i say,just a thought as i only skin gut the odd one or two for a relative now and again.
as said above, the guts are gonna be the first thing to go bad so couldn't bear to leave em in. i rip all my catches up on the beach and feed the bass with the guts that way its less messy and easier to sort out when im home without the missis goin mad for de-scaling a bream in the bathroom sink :whistling:

·
Registered
25,132 Posts
as said above, the guts are gonna be the first thing to go bad so couldn't bear to leave em in. i rip all my catches up on the beach and feed the bass with the guts that way its less messy and easier to sort out when im home without the missis goin mad for de-scaling a bream in the bathroom sink :whistling:
LOL I am still finding mullet scales from months ago!!!!!!:bangin:

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
:fishing: i caught 1 of many doggies the other nite off a good mark. usually i js throw em back, but av decided t taste i knw there a mission t skin n all that. but my question is i caught it early hours on the 22nd i havent frozen it. i jus stuck it in the fridge, as i havent had time to skin n gut. will it still be ok t gut n skin today 24th n still be safe to eat 2 days after i caught it?. as it has been dead for 2 days and still isnt gutted? will i have to eat it the same day i skin it? if not is there a certain way to store? and does any1 knw how to cook it cheers.
As others have said it is best to gut them sooner rather latter, you won't know until you have a look and a good sniff! As for cooking there must be loads of recipes on here for them but my favourite is what I call " Poor Man's Scampi! " Once you have skinned them take the flesh away from the bone ( Not really bone ) cut in to small pieces coat in flour, egg then breadcrumb deep fry in very hot for a bout 1 minute then sever piping hot with a slice of lemon and a a nice side salad ( OR chips as well if you're really hungry ) Enjoy the fruits of your labour !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers lads alot of help. the bass love the guts then do they?
only bin fishin for 2 months but found some good marks and have been catchin alot of different rays smoothies etc. 1st time im gna gut a fish now. do the guts always stink or only wen they av turned manky. im a newbie and very thankful for the advice cheers

·
Registered
14,732 Posts
cheers lads alot of help. the bass love the guts then do they?
only bin fishin for 2 months but found some good marks and have been catchin alot of different rays smoothies etc. 1st time im gna gut a fish now. do the guts always stink or only wen they av turned manky. im a newbie and very thankful for the advice cheers
They shouldn't smell if they are OK. Have a look in the COOKING YOUR CATCH pages for loads more recipes!

·
Registered
583 Posts
i would throw the doggy away because even though its been in the fridge you can never tell if its gone bad just to be on the safe side and you will have plenty of time to get another one and then i suggest you gut it and skin it as soon as it comes off the hook i allways take clean freezer bags ready to put clean filleted fish in and then all the guts and skin go into the drink no mess and then when you get home straight in the pan luvelly jubbly

but every time i do that the mrs says you didnt catch that you stopped off at tesco on your way home lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts