World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noted what appears to be an explosion of Dogfish numbers over the past couple of years?

Marks that used to have a variety of species present seem to have lost there diversity to the dreaded woofer on the N Wales coast at least. Is it because there is so few of anything else left in the sea, or is it another reason?

I was chatting to a charter skipper last Autumn that was suggesting catching them and selling them for pot bait and the like to give other species a chance, would this be beneficial.

Does anyone know what the effect a cull of dogfish would have on the ecosystem? Except less burned hands when they slip whilst unhooking of course!

Tight lines

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
They are regionally too, becomonig more and more common on the east coast, I think they are just filling in all the gaps left by a bloody big hole ripped out of the ecosystem by trawling.

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
on the northeast coast, tees - tyne you hear of the odd rare specimen getting caught but thats it.

40 years ago we used to be plagued with small dogs throughout the summer.

i think they all moved to the west coast.... seriously though we cant work out why they disapeared.

when we go over that side we cant wait to catch some for a change from dabs.

i thing chip shops should start selling dogfish [rock salmon] instead of cod. this will have 2 benefits.

reducing the number of dogs and giving the cod a rest.

if you think though over the last couple of years you have also seen an increase in numbers of bass, bream and rays. you just have to get past the dogs to find them. hope the smooties increase aswell.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

It's not so much a explosion of doggies, more a reduction on the other species that we are seeing.
Since there is nothing else out there to get to a bait before the doggy, that's pretty much what will be caught first.

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
doggies have taken over top preadter beacause others fish speices have been hammered,cull not anwser ,dogies have save me form blanking many times.shaggy

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming (always dangerous!) that Dogs eat smaller fish such as Whiting and Dab, as well as the minis I find it very worrying that the most numerous fish I've had this year is the doggy.

And it's not like I fish big hooks, sizes 6-1 being the norm unless I'm after something bigger. Whereas you'd only get the odd one on worm and crab baits I'm finding they're taking everything over the last 18months.

I wouldn't be too suprised to catch one on feathers at this rate!

·
Registered
550 Posts
You may also remember that dogfish ( rock salmon ) used to be a big hit in the fish and chip shops a few years back but its not so popular anymore so commercial fishermen dont target them as much anymore.

I've only ever caught one doggie from a boat so I wouldnt mind catchin gthem a bit more but from what some of you say it would get a bit frustrating.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Assuming (always dangerous!) that Dogs eat smaller fish such as Whiting and Dab, as well as the minis I find it very worrying that the most numerous fish I've had this year is the doggy.

And it's not like I fish big hooks, sizes 6-1 being the norm unless I'm after something bigger. Whereas you'd only get the odd one on worm and crab baits I'm finding they're taking everything over the last 18months.

I wouldn't be too suprised to catch one on feathers at this rate!
I see you've caught only one less whiting than dogfish tho - would you like a cull on them to ? :unsure:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
You may also remember that dogfish ( rock salmon ) used to be a big hit in the fish and chip shops a few years back but its not so popular anymore so commercial fishermen dont target them as much anymore.

only on the brittish market its not popular, commercials still target them in huge numbers by long line and they are sold on the european market where they fetch a bigger price than here:giveup: commercial boats over here still use dogfish landings as a cover for landing other more valuable species like rays,plaice and sole as "bycatch" once they are over there "quota":giveup: :giveup:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope Sussex,

Most of the Whiting I've had have been undersized, and therefore you would imagine near the bottom of the food chain.

The smallest dog I've had has been about 15" long, which to me doesn't add up.

Surely as fish get bigger in size there should be less of them? natural predation, available food etc.

As far as I am aware not many animals predate Dogfish, even seagulls leave them alone when they wash up. If they are rapidly increasing in numbers they are going to be competing for food with more sought after fish, such as Codling, School Bass, Ray whatever. which will mean a further reduction in other species numbers

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
In Sussex dogfish numbers have soared since 1997 when there were virtually none caught where as now in the right conditions 20 dogs is reasonably easy to catch. But we've also had numbers of whiting and smoothounds increase as well during same period.

It could also be the water around your coast is a lot cleaner than what it use to be ? Around here the sewage outfall pipes were extended and the water quality improved dramatically and so did the number of dogs etc.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i've caught about 15 in pevensey bay now, all in the last year, i've spoken to plenty of the older club guys who've fished the bay for 30+ years, and never had one ! they're not common here from the shore, but are becoming more so, unless i'm just getting better at catching them ! i deliberately fish for them, purely because it's not a poxy rockling or pout !

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I've had 60 odd of them so far this year, some of them have been 3lb plus fish too, so there does seem to be plenty around with not much else about to keep their numbers in check, and there must be plenty of food about for them to get to specimen sizes too. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sussex,

Swap you half your Sussex Smoothys for half our N Wales Dogs! :)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
doggies have taken over top preadter beacause others fish speices have been hammered,cull not anwser ,dogies have save me form blanking many times.shaggy
what he said ^
cull the dogs = a bigger mess ,we shouldnt intervene all the time because we can
its not the fault of dogs that theres less diversity in fish species its bloody great trawlers biting the hands that feed them
we are catching more dogs because we are catching less cod n pollack due to those species not being around in the same quantity anymore
so dogs seem to be more abundant

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
Are there any natural predators for dogfish other than larger sharks? If not, with warmer waters and increase in fry it's not surprising that they are on the increase.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Fishing with Sparkypete recently, he threw a doggie back in to the water, suddenly there was a huge splash on the surface, a seal had snaffled the doggie within seconds of it hitting the water, so I reckon that seals might be a natural predator for them.

Or then again maybe the seal spat it back out nursing a sore mouth. :D

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Isn't rock salmon more spurdogs & smoothounds rather than the common or garden "growler"?
If not, why are the bloody things multiplying like triffids? or have the old fashioned "rock salmon" lovers simply lost their taste for it?:yucky:
blueskip

1 - 20 of 32 Posts