World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was out fishin last night in northern ireland and i got a bite i started reeling in it was a doggie but half way in my rod took a nose dive and started fightin and i am certain that something had grabbed the doggie and was fighting harder than the doggie any suggestions on what it might have been ?:huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
could of been a tope mate how deep were you fishing or were you off of the shore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was fishing fom the shore but was casting abot 100 yards and thre hav not been anything big caught off this beach yet cause its a little mark that me and my m8 found that no1 fishes just down the road from us soo its handy too get too my m8 also had a 1 1/2 lb bull huss off it da other nyt :)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
or a conger - they eat doggies (though perhaps only dead ones - I don't know if they can often catch live ones)

Are you going to try a fillet of doggie (with or without skin) off there ?
Or do you think it wouldn't work if it were not live bait ?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A friend of mine caught a spurdog many years ago from a pier (night fishing), and soon after hooking it - he had a much harder job on his hands.

When he eventually got the fish to surface, we saw the hooked spurdog, with an enormous conger hanging onto it. When our headlamps focussed on the conger, it bit through the spurdog and disappeared.

It was a huge conger (well from the shore anyway) and we estimated that it must have been close to if not as big as the british record.

Spurdog was estimated to be 6-8lb before the conger chomped it.

This was at a very deepwater mark at Lochaline on the west coast of Scotland.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts